The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring | Teen Ink

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

December 9, 2014
By FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California
FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California
34 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The film adaption of The Middle-Earth Saga is about to conclude with the release of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. In anticipation of this release, lets look back at one of, if not the best fantasy films and movie trilogies of all time. Based on the excellent novels by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Middle-Earth Saga began with the first installment of the epic The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring.

In the land of the Shire there's a brave little Hobbit that we all admire. His name is Frodo Baggins, who get the possession of the One Ring from Bilbo Baggins after the event of The Hobbit. Unknown to Frodo, the ring is the One Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron, which has the ability to corrupt the possessor and is filled with evil and temptation of the Dark Lord. He is joined by eight other companions, who set out on a journey to Mount Doom to destroy the Ring and get rid of evil once and for all. He is joined by Gandalf the Wizard, Aragorn the Ranger, Legolas the Elf, Gimli the Dwarf, Boromir of Gonder and his three Hobbit friends Merry, Pippin and Samwise. They become The Fellowship of the Ring

One of the brilliant things that director Peter Jackson was able to do in this epic trilogy was creating the world of Middle-Earth, filled with excellent backstory and information for everything involved in this world. The first scene in the film is able to give the audience a brief recap on the history of the One Ring and immediately transforms you into this brilliant world. Most of all, it does an excellent job of creating all of the different world, fantasy elements and different races of Middle-Earth in a way where the audience are able to care for all of them. All of the race are given their own characteristics, their own worlds, and their own personalities. We are not watching Middle-Earth, we are in Middle-Earth, invested in the characters and their quest.

One of the main characters we are introduced to is Frodo Baggins, potrayed excellently by Elijah Wood. Frodo Baggins, like many Hobbits, are people who are not involved in any world related drama. Their lifestyle is very peaceful and quiet. Naturally, when Frodo Baggins is forced into becoming the Ring-Bearer, he is not prepared to begin this quest and does not want any part of it. But because of his peaceful attitude, he has the ability to not be corrupted by the evilness of the One Ring. He does not run away from his faith, but accepts it and is willing to get rid of evil for the sake of Middle Earth.

In the beginning of his journey, Frodo is joined by his best friends Sam, Merry, and Pippin, potrayed to perfection by Shaun Austin, Dominic Monaghan, and Billy Boyd. Merry and Pippin serve as the comic relief of the story, bringing comedy in a film that is so dark and bleak. Their comedic timing is excellent, and they are able to serve more of a purpose to a story, being the loyal friends who will travel with Frodo in this dangerous journey. The same could be said about Samwise Gamgee, one of Frodo's most loyal friends. But more about the friendship between Frodo and Sam in the next two reviews of The Lord of the Rings films.

Frodo's journey began after the wizard Gandalf the Grey informed his of the power of The Ring. Gandalf, potrayed in his Academy-Award nominated performance Ian McKellen,  is not one of the best wizards of all time. He is THE best wizard of all time. Gandalf the Grey is one of the best part of this films, as he serves as the wisest and most skilled member of the Fellowship. He also delivers some of the best scenes and quotes in the film, such as the famous "You shall not pass!!" scene. The best part of Gandalf the Grey was how is willing to fight even the most dangerous opponents in order for the safety of the fellowship, such as his battle against the Balrog of Moria, one of the most intense action scenes in the film.

One of the most important characters is Aragorn the Ranger, who is truly the rightful king for the city of Gondor and Rohan. Aragorn is destined to unite the race of men together against the battle for Middle-Earth, but he has left that life. Unlike Frodo, he is not ready to accept his destiny. Viggo Mortensen is able to capture this dilemma perfectly, as even though he is willing to give his life for good, he is not ready to live up to his destiny. This dilemma will follow throughout the course of this epic trilogy.

The other members of the Fellowship includes Legolas one of the most skilled archers and unstoppable fighter and easily the most memorable of all the elves. Orlando Bloom is able to portray him with excellence, specifically his hostility with the dwarf Gimli, portrayed by John-Rys Davis, who also serves as another part of comedic relief while also showing its importance in the film. The relationship he has with Legolas will be more explored in the next two films. The last member is Boromir, portrayed by Sean Bean, who is easily the most corrupted and falls for the evil of the One Ring.

The most important aspect of this whole movie trilogy has to be the One Ring of Sauron.
One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all,
and in the darkness bind them.

The One Ring is not just a ring, but it is filled with Sauron's evilness and tempations. Because of this, the Ring is able to corrupt even the most wisest and kindest of all humans, such as Sauruman the White, who was the most powerful, wisest and best of all the wizards. It is not if the Ring corrupts you, but more of when the Ring corrupts you. Most of all, the Ring wants to return to it's master in order to control Middle Earth. So this makes the journey is the most dangerous mission for all of Middle-Earth, as the only way to destroy the Ring is taking it to Mordor, where Sauron's army awaits them.

The first half of the film is to build up the world and the characters of Middle Earth. This is a smart move by director Peter Jackson, as he is able to make the audience care about everything involved in this world. By doing this, he is able to make the action scenes have a great impact on the story. The action scenes are tense and thrilling, making more of the fact that the characters have something to lose if things go wrong. The action scenes are also thrilling and inventive, such as the Moria battle scenes and the ones against the Orcs. But the action scenes will continue to be more thrilling, more intense, and more improved throughout the trilogy.

The main reason for the success of this film would have to go to Peter Jackson and his incredible filming crew. He is able to introduce many motifs that will continue throughout the epic trilogy, such as the battle of good versus evil, where evil is beginning to grow in this film. He gives a human element in the world of fantasy, as he focuses on the characters and their emotions and the situation that they are given. Aided by the wonderful, beautiful  musical score created by Howard Shore, which is one of the best pieces of film score in movie history, Peter Jackson is able to create the world of middle earth and begin this epic trilogy. 5/5 stars.


The author's comments:

Peter Jackson gives a human element in the world of fantasy, as he focuses on the characters and their emotions and the situation that they are given. Aided by the wonderful, beautiful  musical score created by Howard Shore, which is one of the best pieces of film score in movie history, Peter Jackson is able to create the world of middle earth and begin this epic trilogy. 5/5 stars.