Mockingjay Book/Movie Review | Teen Ink

Mockingjay Book/Movie Review

By Nevaeh Fukui-Stoos BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Nevaeh Fukui-Stoos BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii

“Fire is catching and if we burn, you burn with us!” Katniss Everdeen, the girl on fire, district 12 victor, the mockingjay, the face of the uprising in the districts against the capitol said this after the capitol bombed an un-armed hospital in district 8. The bombed the hospital in retaliation and to prove a point/send a message. This story was the constant battle against the capitol and president Snow to end the hunger games for good, to safely return Peeta, and to restore the rights back to the people of the districts; they have had enough of the horrible way they have been treated all of these years. I feel that the book was better because than the movie because there was more details in the book that weren’t in the movie. The movie is always less information than the book because of time limit on movies.

Some difference that were in the movie from in the book was the characters that the director choose in selecting certain people for these characters. I imagined were that Boggs was African-American and Cressida had a very exotic hair style. In the book Eiffee was captured with Peeta and brought into the capitol to be executed. In the movie she was in district 13 with Katniss, safe from the capitol. I was very surprised when I saw these characters in the movie. I thought that it was very strange that the director choose an African-American to be Boggs. Most governments are very racist and do not put African-American citizens in positions of power. Another thing that was different was the distribution of the schedules given to the guest in district 13. In the book it was scanned in on their arm and in the movie it was not.
I feel that the ending of the of part 1 of Mockingjay was a good place to end part 1 because it left the audience in question, sitting at the edge of their seat wanting more. I know for sure that I will be going to the movies to see part 2 of Mockingjay when it comes out next year. I feel that the movie could have been better but overall it had the intensity of the story just like it was in the book between Katniss and Snow, Katniss and Peeta. I feel that everyone should go and watch the movie but wait till part 2 comes out and watch both at around the same time because the  of the movie waiting on what will happen next kills you because you want to know what is going to happen next in the story. I recommend that you read the book before you watch the movie so you understand the story and what is suppose to happen because the director took out a lot of detail from the book that changes your point of view. The book helps you better understand the story.