Slumdog Millionaire This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When acclaimed director Danny Boyle wandered into the slums of Mumbai, ­India, with a relatively unknown group of actors, it was hard to imagine what the ­filmmaker was doing so far from home. However, with the release of “Slumdog Millionaire,” it’s apparent that Boyle doesn’t need to be on familiar ground to make excellent movies.

A film like “Slumdog ­Millionaire” doesn’t come along very often. But when it does, we end up falling in love. Initially the plot appears formulaic: a teen from the slums of Mumbai ­rises from rags to ­riches by ­appearing on a popular gameshow. But rest assured, “formulaic” definitely has no place amidst the numerous ­adjectives that can be used to describe this film.

“Slumdog Millionaire” is so realistic and moving that you find yourself gripped by the artistry with which it was made. The cinematography has a rawness that creates a ­visually spectacular film, and Boyle’s team captures on camera, with a success shared by perhaps no other foreign director, the sights and sounds of the Indian subcontinent.

What truly sets “Slumdog Millionaire” apart, however, is the plot. Protagonist Jamal ­Malik (played by talented ­newcomer Dev Patel) is an 18-year-old chai-walla (tea seller) from the slums who ­appears on the Indian version of “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” with the hope that the love of his life, Latika (played by the stunning Freida Pinto), will be watching. What results is a story that grabs us and preaches the beauty of destiny and love.

“Slumdog Millionaire” is rounded out by a strong supporting cast and soundtrack by famed Indian music director A.R. Rahman. The soundtrack is almost impossible to ignore, integrating Western music and tunes familiar to Bollywood lovers into a film that is very different from either mainstream convention.

With our busy lives, it’s hard to sit back and genuinely appreciate a film. But in the midst of all that madness, if I were to point to one movie that will move you and force you to think, it would be “Slumdog Millionaire.”

yeatts said...
This article was complety honest and I felt and describes the plot rely well without ranting.

TheQueen said...
This was a great movie! both of my parents are indian and I have actually observed these people (definitely not as...harsh as this situation) but I can relate a lot!

writingrocks This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 7, 2010 at 6:58 am:
I looooved this movie soooooooooooooo much! I totally agree with you! Do you watch other Hindi movies> You would write great reviews about My Name is Khan or Ghajini!

Simrin T. said...
Sept. 24, 2010 at 11:42 am:
I love this movie. ~_~ ... Ahh.. GREAT!!

MayDay said...
I loved this movie!!!!!!!

rosycheeked said...
Aug. 12, 2010 at 11:52 am:
great article- but dev patel wasn't exactly newcoming, not with a hit british television series under his belt.

jbutterfly10 said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 6:19 pm:
I loved that movie! It rockedddddd!

AnneOnnimous said...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 5:10 pm:
that was an amazing movie

dreamer759 said...
Mar. 24, 2010 at 5:09 pm:
i totally loved this movie!!!!! it was the best movie ever and even though it was really depressing(in that way only good movies can pull off) it was funny too. you really captured that in this review. awesome!!!!

İdil S. said...
Jan. 20, 2010 at 3:09 am:
It is a fascinating movie , it also reflects the real life perfectly. Also good review I totally agree with you :)

blaague said...
I LOVE SLUMDOG!!!

Cammeleon said...
Hello,
For more information, pictures and cool stuff about our favorite actress, Freida Pinto visit:
freidapinto.co.uk

Kavishg This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:14 am:
Great Movie and great review!!! I will be sure to read the book.

screenname! replied...
Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:24 pm :
I love indian movies...I sure am gonna check out this movie.

Miranda J. said...
Jul. 8, 2009 at 2:59 am:
I also loved this movie, and agree that this is the kind of movie that will show you, and make you think about, a differnt side of life.

Valkyrie_123 said...
Jun. 24, 2009 at 6:18 am:
awesome review and the movie i heard was good i have to see it

Emma O. said...
Jun. 16, 2009 at 5:12 pm:
This was a very good review, and this comment is not against the reviewer. However, the movie is really quite a change from the book - and not the best change either. I would recommend that if you liked the movie you read the book - it's really different and excellent, and in my opinion it was much better.
The movie is good, though - they just changed a lot.

mimi:) said...
May 24, 2009 at 8:20 pm:
this movie is the best movie evurrrr!!!!!! it has a good plot and a great ending!!

Lewie said...
May 11, 2009 at 7:02 pm:
This shows a very good side to the feel-good factor of the film,im sitting hre now doing my school media piece and im jotting down some ideas you icluded in your reveiw. One point of help, you could try to create a contrast between the "feel-good" and the opposite, kind of like another sie to the plot.

Movie was very good

Justin 25 said...
awesome movie. I couldn't believe how good this movie was.