Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 | Teen Ink

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

December 5, 2014
By Anela Cominella BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Anela Cominella BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“If we burn, you burn with us!” said Katniss boldly as a message to the Capitol. Mockingjay is the third and final novel in the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Katniss is the face of the rebellion. The rebels are from district 13 is ruled by President Coin and are people who are against the Capitol and what they do. They chose Katniss to represent them and lead them in their rebellious ways because of how much Katniss always stands up to the Capitol and her great leadership skills in the previous books. Between the book and movie, the movie is better. This is because there are less details and it is easier to understand what is going on. The book has lots of details that I don’t think are very important and it is easy to get confused in the book.


While watching the movie, there are many differences that were either changed or left out compared to the book. One difference was Finnick wasn’t shown as much. In the book, he was mentioned a lot but in the movie he seemed more like a background character because of how little he was shown. Another was they didn’t show Peeta getting tortured on TV. This was kind of a good thing because if they showed that the movie might’ve been rated R because of the violence. Last but not least, Effie took place of Katniss’ prep team. In the book, Katniss had a prep team for herself, and Effie wasn’t even mentioned. But, I think they might’ve done this to cut back on how many people they need to hire, and Effie was a very liked character also. They ended the movie when Peeta was strapped to table in a empty room, struggling to get out. The Capitol had tortured and brainwashed him to make him think Katniss was an enemy and made him want to kill her. This was a good ending spot because it made it want the people who just watched it wanting to watch part 2 when it comes out.


In my opinion, I like the movie better. Although the movie was very good, I would recommend reading the book first. I’d say this because you can see what they changed and you know more of what they showed. You would also be able to understand the plot of the story better.  Also, you have more background information on new people. Another reason is because the parts that they cut out that could be interesting or important, you know what happens. So its kind of like you got to watch 2 movies in once with what you know. That is why the movie was better, although you should read the book before watching the movie.