Flowers in the Attic | Teen Ink

Flowers in the Attic

November 25, 2014
By vashii SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
vashii SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Based a V.C Andrews controversial book that quickly became a cult classic bestselling novel."  This is a heartbreaking and twisted story of four siblings; Christopher 14, Cathy 12, and the twins Cory and Carrie 4. They have a good life at first when they were living with their parents that love them dearly. Their father is always of at work for weeks at a time but when he does come home it's a celebration. The family threw a party for their father and husband expecting him to come home. Officers came knocking on the door only to let them know that he died in a car accident.

The mother Corrine knew she had no other choice but to tell her children the truth about her wealthy parents that lives in Virginia. Since her father is on the verge of dying, she plans to get his love back so she can inherit all his money. Corrine’s mother sneaks them all into the mansion and has the children living in a room that connects to the attic. Their grandmother, Olivia tells Corrine that the children must stay in the room so their grandfather doesn't find out about them. Corrine sees her father and when she returns to her kids she has been whipped by her mother. Olivia tells the children that their mother and father were half-uncle and niece; their father was their grandfather's younger half-brother.

As months go by Cathy and Chris turn the attic into an imaginary garden, teach the twins with school lessons and read books to them. Corrine visits the children every day and bares gifts. The children are now there for a year and they see their mother less and less.
They are abused by their grandmother and their mother does nothing to stop it. Corrine has a Christmas party and allows Chris and Cathy to watch from a hiding spot, and that's the only time they were able to see their grandfather Malcolm; they also saw their mother with their fathers attorney, Bart Winslow. Chris decides to take a look around the mansion, but when he returns to his room his mother slaps him and threatens to whip him and Cathy.

Another year goes by; Cathy and Chris are mother and father to the twins. The two oldest enter puberty and are very curious. One day Cathy is naked in front of a mirror admiring her body as Chris walks in. The grandmother catches them and orders Cathy to cut off her hair or they will starve for the next two weeks. They refuse to do so, so one night Olivia sneaks into the room, drugs Cathy and put tart into her hair. Cathy decides to cut her hair in order to feed the twins. Cathy and Chris can no longer hide the feeling they have towards each other. They begin to plan and escape because the twins are getting sick. They began to sneak into their mothers’ room, stealing money while the twins sleep. Cathy goes alone one night and sees Bart, her mothers’ husband asleep so she kisses him. Chris finds out about the kiss, he's so angry, he rapes Cathy.

Soon after Cory gets sick, Cathy demands that her mother take him to the hospital, Corrine slaps her, and Cathy slaps her back. Cathy threatens and says she will get revenge on her on day. Olivia agrees that Cory should go to the hospital and Corrine takes him away. The next day Corrine tells the children that Cory died of pneumonia. The kids are afraid they will die next; they will take whatever money and jewelry they can. Chris soon finds that his mother and Bart Winslow have left and took all their belongings. He hears the butler talking about how his grandfather died nine months ago and how Olivia was leaving doughnuts with poison in them in the attic to kill the mice. The next morning they plan to leave and catch the next train to Florida. While waiting at the train station Chris tells Cathy that their mother inherited the money under one condition. That she has no children and if they find other wise she will lose everything. Cathy tells Chris that she will get revenge on her mother.