The Worlds Fastest Indian | Teen Ink

The Worlds Fastest Indian

November 13, 2014
By LTorpey BRONZE, Auckland, Other
LTorpey BRONZE, Auckland, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
" The world is but a canvas for the imagination "


"The Worlds Fastest Indian" is an insightful movie directed and written by Rodger Donaldson. A character i enjoyed in the film was Burt Munro. He is an uplifting motorcycle fan who lives his life day by day. Burt is important in the film because he introduces us to the importance of kiwi ingenuity, determination and tolerance. These ideas are shown through camera shots, dialogue and music.

Quite possibly the most important of these ideas is the lesson of kiwi ingenuity. One example of this is when on his way to Bonneville the wheel of the trailer holding his motorcycle comes flying off. Burt finds the wheel and carries it back to the broken trailer. Using 'the number eight wire' mentality and kiwi ingenuity Burt temporarily fixes the problem by using a log found on the side of the road. This is important because it shows how clever Burt is and how useful the 'number eight wire' mentality can be. It also shows how Burt uses the resources around him to get the job done.

Pursuing this further, Burt uses his kiwi ingenuity again when he discovers that while getting to high speeds on his motorcycle it develops a speed wobble. Burt attempts to fix the problem by melting down twenty old car batteries to create what is essentially a lead brick to place in the front of the motorcycle. This is also another important example of when Burt uses his kiwi ingenuity and does whatever it takes to solve the problem at hand.

Another important lesson that Burt teaches us is tolerance. An example of this is when Burt discovers that Tina is actually a Transvestite. Although this was probably a shock to Burt, especially because in the 1960's it wasn't socially acceptable to a transvestite. He still treated Tina with the respect that she deserved and he still treated her like a lady. Whereas a lot of people in the 1960's wouldn't have treated her the same. This is important because it shows how Burt is a tolerant man and doesn't judge people.

Another example of this is how even though Burt is much older than the other racers at Bonneville, he still tolerates their flash new racing suits and cars.  He still treats them with respect. These racers are a lot younger than Burt and so are considered much more able than he is.

A third example of how tolerant Burt is when at tech inspections a young race fan is laughing at Burt's motorcycle and says "straight out of the yard".  Implying that it is a heap of junk. Burt could have left and given up on his dream then or even started a fight. But instead he stays calm and retaliates lightly. This is important also because it proves that Burt is a tolerant and respectful man.

Another important lesson that Burt teaches us is the idea of determination and dedication towards your dreams. This is shown at the beginning of the film when Burt perseveres while making and fixing his bike. Although Burt is poor and makes a lot of the motorcycle parts himself, he showed us that nothing is impossible. Additionally, while on his way to Bonneville Burt meets a car dealer who offers him a job. He could have easily accepted the job and turned down his dream of racing at Bonneville as he most likely needed the money. But he didn't, Burt persevered.

Another example that shows how dedicated Burt is, is when there is a close up shot of Burts 'Offerings To The God Of Speed'. These are all of the homemade pistons that have melted due to excessive engine heat. Burt couldn't afford to buy new pistons so he would make his own. This is also seen at the beginning of the film when Burt says "Two of Chevy, one of Ford". Meaning that he has melted down those other car parts to create the perfect mixture in which he makes a new piston.  These are important because it shows how dedicated and determined Burt is to achieve his dream.

Burt Munro is a national icon who wholeheartly taught us about Kiwi ingenuity, determination and tolerance. Burt Munros' land speed record still stands and his legend lives on. He was a clever man who never gave up on his dream even through old age. I think that we can all learn something from Burt Munro and maybe we can all become better people from it.


 


The author's comments:

This is an essay about the film "The Worlds Fastest Indian". It is based on the true story of New Zealander Burt Munro. He had always dreamed about setting the land speed record on his "Old Indian Scout" motorcycle. In his sixties he travelled all the way to Bonneville (U.S.A) and set the new land speed record at 200 miles per hour. Burts record STILL stands and his legend lives on. It is an inspiring story that i recomend everyone to watch.