The Notebook | Teen Ink

The Notebook

By Dreaa SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Dreaa SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

I think that this movie is romantic and and heartwarming because it makes you crave a relationship like theirs. It is somewhat addictive. It made thirst for what was coming next. I felt as if I was there experiencing what they were experiencing. This award winning movie, in my opinion, deserves every award it’s gotten.

In this 1940 setting Noah Calhoun played by Ryan Gosling is a poor young man who falls in love with the rich ambitious Allie Hamilton played by Rachel McAdams after he meets her at a carnival. He goes completely out of his way to get her attention, to the far as climbing on a moving Ferris wheel just to get her to say yes to a date with him. She agreed at the moment but the next day had no interest in the idea. Her friend tricked her into a movie date with him which she ended up spending the entire night with him. After that night it was if they were completely in love with each other and spent most of every day together. The thought of not being together killed them & even though they argued like any other couple they we completely inseparable. A famous part in the movie with I find very adorable is when they were at the beach together and she says to him to say she was a bird & he wouldn’t say it & she repeatedly told him to say it until he finally said it and he says “if you’re a bird , I’m a bird”. This part just shows how comfortable they grew to be.

One night they were together in an old abandoned house and Allie makes him promise to fix it up one day for her.  The same night they were about to experience there first sexual encounter and they find out that her parent were worried and had sent the police out looking for her. When she gets home this cause a huge argument with her & her parents and she is told she must leave and go back to Charleston. While arguing with her parents her mother yells “TRASH! TRASH! TRASH!” and Noah over hears and rushes out. Allie chases after him and it starts and argument. Allies bad temper causes her to break up with him and slam the door on him and she doesn’t realize what she has done until he is driving away. The next morning she rushes to tell his good friend that she’s leaving back for Charleston and she wants him to tell Noah she loves him. And then she is gone.
This forces Noah and Allie to both feel as if it’s time to move on even though it hurts them both more than ever. Allie moves on and eventually gets engaged to someone else. Noah goes to the army and comes back and decides to fix the old property he promised to Allie. When Allie is picking her wedding dress she picks up the paper & sees an advertisement of the house with Noah. She is so shocked she decides to “take a break” form her fiancé and goes to see Noah. At first they were both surprised and somewhat shocked to see each other but they end up reuniting and she cheats on her fiancé with him. She ends up leaving her fiancé after a long talk with her mother and gets back with Noah after all those years.  I think this movie really touched my heart when I found out that the old couple telling the story is the couple in the story and he was reading her the story of their love because he wanted her to remember. I cried when they died together and it makes you really hope that there really is true love like that and that if it’s meant to be it will be.