Shottas | Teen Ink

Shottas

By Ant103 BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
Ant103 BRONZE, Newark, Delaware

Ard

Everyone has a favorite movie of all time. As a child I grew up watching movies surrounding the African American culture; well at least the stereotypic African American culture most of our nation looks upon. While I grew up seeing movies such as: Boyz n the hood, Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood, Belly, Blue Hill Avenue, and Juice, watching “Shottas” entertained me the most.  The movie just drew in all of my attention. It’s like I could watch it over and over again.

The gangster tale "Shottas" feels like a Jamaican "Scarface," giving a distinct slice of the underground street culture in Kingston. The violence is ruthless, senseless, and uncontrollably outrageous. However, the way the characters handle their selves is so interesting that it pulls in your attention to an extent where you can’t stop watching the movie. The two main characters Biggs and Wayne grew up together on the tough and dangerous streets of Kingston. They grew up missing school and roaming the streets of Jamaica looking for trouble. The two were always together and got hooked on the life of crime young due to the crime they witnessed around them.

I would tell anyway to watch “Shottas” if they like action, suspense and crime films. Bigs and Wayne seriously got involved in crime when they found a gun & robbed a truck driver for thousands of dollars in cash. With the money they received they managed to grab enough money to purchase visas to take them to a better life in the United States. This is when they became hooked on getting money in dangerous ways. Moving to the U.S however didn’t go as planned. After hustling in the drug world of Miami gets them into trouble, the young men are deported and sent back to Jamaica with empty pockets and dashed hopes.

Now even though the movie’s plot is full of holes, the whole the film is very entertaining and to some degree real.  “Shottas” has a good selection of soundtracks and has a handful of actors that play their roles very well. This is the type of movie that you watch when you want to see a group of brothers that grow up starting out loyal and ride together until the end. Everyone knows that no movie is perfect, every movie has flaws but a good movie grabs your interest and keeps it. That is what this movie does.

This film has my recommendation; anyone who likes crime filled action movies should go and see this film. Cess Silvera did an awesome job directing this film. I give this move a 4 star rate; 4 stars because it is great but it could have a better plot scheme. I watched this movie multiple times and never turned it off once. Check this movie out if you haven’t seen it yet.