Starter for Ten

Starter for Ten

This light-hearted film with Tom Vaughan at the helm, “Cold Feet” and “What Happens In Vegas”, is a 2006 film depicting the story of a young man, Brian Jackson, an obsessive collector of knowledge, of which that lays the path to Bristol University and climaxing in a boyhood dream appearance in University Challenge.

Portrayed superbly by James McAvoy, “Atonement” and “Last King of Scotland”, Brian leaves his working class family at Southend-on-Sea to pursue further knowledge. Originally encouraged by his late father, Brian leaves his less academically minded friends and falls in love with Alice, a drama student, and, with a little help from Brian, also on the University Challenge team. He also meets Rebecca, a political activist, with whom he spends New Years eve in a way he may not want to remember.

The 'Three Bonus Questions' lie with the producer, with Tom Hanks overseeing the production, the typical eighties soundtrack, and a film that inspires anyone who thinks they could achieve more. Adapted by David Nichols, the author, he delivers his 'specialist subject' in a story that everyone can enjoy, albeit a simple one.

So its good-bye from McAvoy - although he has more worked lined up for 2009, rumoured to be playing Bilbo Baggins and Curt Cobain -- good-bye to a feel good film - that although may lack detail, still delivers and fulfils it's purpose - and its good-bye from me, good-bye.