Chasing Mavericks | Teen Ink

Chasing Mavericks

By Nannette BRONZE, Berwyn, Illinois
Nannette BRONZE, Berwyn, Illinois

Autumn, waves, and California: a surfer’s dream is to chase a maverick, a dangerous wave located in northern California..  Jay Moriarty, an aspiring surfer, tries to fulfill his dream of surfing a dangerous wave.  Since a young age, Jay was obsessed with the ocean.  In Chasing Mavericks, the thrill of seeking a treacherous waves is taken in. 

Jay’s self-determination will inspire the audience to chase their dreams.
Directed by Michael Apted and Curtis Hanson, Chasing Mavericks is a biopic about Jay Moriarty.  It is also a drama and sport movie.  The movie was released on October 26, 2012.   The movie is still worth watching because it is an inspirational movie. Jay and his mother live together in a low-income household after his father leaves the family.  Jay must be the responsible one between him and his mother.  Frosty and his wife, Brenda Hesson, become close to Jay as Frosty mentors and trains Jay to chase a maverick.

Chasing Mavericks, a biographical film, is an influential movie because Jay Moriarty grows up to pursue his passion of surfing.  Although he encounters challenges to prevent him from riding a the wave, he receives a mentor, Frosty, to help him safely ride the fatal wave.  Not only does Jay chase his dream to surf a maverick, but he also chases after true love. 

“We all come from the sea, but we are not all of the sea. Those of us who are, we children of the tides, must return to it again and again, until the day we don't come back leaving only that which was touched along the way,” said Frosty Hesson at the beginning and end of the film to leave the audience with the message that we (surfers) must appreciate our lives and seize each day until the day we die.  This one of the many influential quotes in Chasing Mavericks that might leave the audience wanting to live a life like Jay. 

I would recommend this movie to people of all ages because it incorporates the theme of perseverance and chasing dreams.  No matter what age a person may be, people all around the world are driven to accomplish their goals.  I liked this movie because it tries to teach people about living life.  Chasing Mavericks makes you cherish the moments you have alive and will inspire you to make the best of your life.