Doubt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Doubt” is a film that ­truly lives up to its name. It succeeds in provoking questions on morality without allowing us to be entirely sure of what we think. We empa­thize with the characters and their hopelessness to find truth and certainty.

Meryl Streep plays Sister Aloysius, a rational nun more devoted to discipline and ­stability than her faith. Usually known for her beauty and grace, here Streep is cruel and stern with her virtue supporting her. Phillip Seymour Hoffman plays Father Flynn, a kind, compassionate priest who is plagued with guilt and doubt. The plot thickens when Sister Aloysius ­accuses ­Father Flynn of molesting a child.

Originally a play by John Patrick Shanley, the movie has intense dialogue that reveals the nature of the characters and provokes sympathy for both sides of the argument. We notice the duality of doubt and faith and how they are strong opposing forces that affect us every day.

The greatness of this movie lies in its ability to be ambiguous. Since the plot revolves around faith and doubt, we are often left as clueless as the characters and have to guess where the true guilt lies. We live through the events with the characters, never knowing more than they do. Within this structure, the movie teaches us the harsh consequences of jumping to conclusions.

FakesmileThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Great review. Because of it i'm going to get the movie to watch. Than you for the good review and inspiring me to watch it!!!!

thats.about.it. said...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 11:12 am
this movie was amazing. the last line was got me going, and right after the credits came on, I played the movie over again. oh wow. the play was good, by the way.

Macx14 said...
Meryl Streep and Amy Adams are really great together in front of the camera in general. They did amazing in this and Julie and Julia, also. Great review!

chef.elena9 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a perfect review. I saw the movie recently, and you put all of my feelings into words (much better than I could have). Great job! You should review movies for a living!