Doubt | Teen Ink

Doubt MAG

December 25, 2008
By Anonymous

“Doubt” is a film that ­truly lives up to its name. It succeeds in provoking questions on morality without allowing us to be entirely sure of what we think. We empa­thize with the characters and their hopelessness to find truth and certainty.

Meryl Streep plays Sister Aloysius, a rational nun more devoted to discipline and ­stability than her faith. Usually known for her beauty and grace, here Streep is cruel and stern with her virtue supporting her. Phillip Seymour Hoffman plays Father Flynn, a kind, compassionate priest who is plagued with guilt and doubt. The plot thickens when Sister Aloysius ­accuses ­Father Flynn of molesting a child.

Originally a play by John Patrick Shanley, the movie has intense dialogue that reveals the nature of the characters and provokes sympathy for both sides of the argument. We notice the duality of doubt and faith and how they are strong opposing forces that affect us every day.

The greatness of this movie lies in its ability to be ambiguous. Since the plot revolves around faith and doubt, we are often left as clueless as the characters and have to guess where the true guilt lies. We live through the events with the characters, never knowing more than they do. Within this structure, the movie teaches us the harsh consequences of jumping to conclusions.