Legend of Kung Fu Rabbit | Teen Ink

Legend of Kung Fu Rabbit MAG

By ErikF SILVER, Eggertsville, New York
ErikF SILVER, Eggertsville, New York

Let’s face it: to make a quick buck, companies like Video Brinquedo and The Asylum are making horrendous mock-busters of popular major motion pictures. They have lots in common: amateur special effects and animation, rushed plots, and horrible acting. Well, there are better and far less painful rip-offs out there, and “Legend of Kung Fu Rabbit,” released in China in 2011 as “Tu Xia Chuan Qi” (“Legend of a Rabbit”), is one of them. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the movie is any good.

Clearly this is a shameless rip-off of Dreamworks’ “Kung Fu Panda.” Let’s start with the plot, which is all over the place. The story is that a fat rabbit cook named Fu (voiced by Jon Heder) is given kung fu powers by a dying master, a monkey named Shifu (voiced by Tom Arnold, and yes, that is also the same name of the master in the “Kung Fu Panda” films), so he can destroy the master’s enemy, Slash (Michael Clarke Duncan), a panda … you know, like in that other movie.

Most of the characters, even Fu, are unlikable, with the exception of Slash and Shifu’s daughter, Penny (Rebecca Black). There are also major plot holes, and Fu doesn’t even do any kung fu fighting until the very end.

Other than Michael Clarke Duncan as Slash, the main characters’ voice acting isn’t very good in its English dub. In fact, the film didn’t even credit the people who voiced the minor characters, which I feel bad about; those actors were the only ones who seemed to be putting in effort!

While the film’s animation looks nice, it’s hard to believe that it took more than three years and 500 animators. It feels like something you see in a video game (but at least a great video game) or a Nick show, which you would expect to take only a few months to do. The character models are cute, and the score is well chosen, with one exception: an especially poorly done cover of the popular disco track “Kung Fu Fighting” by Carl Douglas in the end credits.

“Legend of Kung Fu Rabbit” does have decent animation and music, but the movie’s bad plot, flat voice acting, unfunny humor, and poorly done character development bring it down significantly. Skip it at all costs.