Chef This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I remember that feeling I got after watching Big Night, that feeling where I just wanted to cook something, anything, just for the art of it. After watching Jon Favreau’s new film Chef, I got that same classic feeling.

As with most films, this movie had positives and negatives, but thankfully more of the former.

A good movie must have a good plot, or else it dribbles away like a watery french-onion soup. And for the most part, Chef succeeds. It’s definitely unique enough; brilliant chef goes crazy on a critic, loses job, ends up food-trucking across the country while repairing a broken family relationship.

There are a few weak parts, however. For one, there is a very odd dynamic between Favreau and his ex-wife, played by Sofia Vergara. The reason that they divorced is never clear, but Favreau tells his son that they just couldn’t marry anymore.

Regardless, Vergara takes him on a trip to Miami, and even dances with him at a nightclub. And further into the movie you can see that there are obviously feelings between them. While I’m not saying that this doesn’t happen, it is a little bit outside of reality.

But even if the divorce doesn’t seem to impact the parents much, it’s obvious that there is a lot of tension between Favreau and his son, played by Emjay Anthony. There is a nice, well-done sidestory throughout the movie where the two bond through the food truck. It’s cheesy, but it’s presented well and isn’t too prominent, which reflects well on Favreau as a director.

The ending also made me a bit uncomfortable. The food critic (Ramsey Michel), who originally had caused Favreau to lose it, suddenly appears at the food truck. He apologizes for his actions and praises the food, which is nice (cliché as the villain-turned-good storyline is). But he goes on to explain that he sold his influential website in order to buy Favreau a restaurant to cook in.

This is one of those unfortunate situations where a movie makes us all remember that it isn’t real, but rather is just a fabricated plot. The perfect movie should be able to encapsulate the audience in a veil of fantasy that is so plausible and relatable that a viewer forgets that he or she is just watching characters on a screen (with exceptions, such as 2001 or Inception).

But these are relatively minor mistakes. The bond between Favreau and his sous-chef (John Leguizamo) is brilliant and very realistic. Both actors also did an incredible job interacting with Anthony, culminating in a very convincing newfound relationship within the cooking family. The entire dynamic on the food truck is something that simply cannot be taught.

The other most important thing that Chef does right is the score. The musical score is absolutely amazing, and subtly changes styles to accompany the surrounding city.

Although Chef does has some typical mistakes, they are highly outdone by strong performances from the cast, reinforced by a nice plot and refreshing music.

moderndayEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 9:23 am:
Wow. The way you wrote it is amazing, Canadotas. All I can say is that it's wonderfully written. The name of the article grabbed my attention to be honest, but when I started reading your words were just woven so well that I couldn't stop reading until the end. Yiur words grabbed attention. Congrats on having your piece, checked with the editor's choice! Also, thank you for sharing this!

CanadotasThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 4:18 pm :
That's very sweet of you, thank you very much!