My Sister's Keeper This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

A Strand of Fallen Hair

Wanted: kidney donor.

“Sometimes to get what you want the most, you have to do what you want the least.”, quoted Jodi Picoult, Author of the novel ‘My Sister’s Keeper’.

A scale holding life and death contains the most difficult decision to be ever made. Being able to watch the film My Sister’s Keeper, I was definitely moved. It’s a story of a savior sibling, Anna Fitzgerald, whose purpose in life is to donate whatever her sister, Kate, who suffers from acute leukemia, needs. To bleed. To hurt. To suffer. Do you have the courage to see your sibling go through pain? Will you take the risk of giving up your life to be able to save another one’s? Though you were made for that purpose, you still have the right to live and make your own choices. Life is what we make it, and not what we were made for.

Cancer has been a cause of numerous deaths around the globe. No action has been implemented on formulating a cure for this illness. Once grasped by the disease, there is a 50% chance of surviving. The only method used to minimize the death rate is chemotherapy which on the other hand, also has its own side effects. As a reaction, I have always been mesmerized by those who plan to create a cure for cancer. It fuels up the mindset of finally decreasing the number of deaths caused by cancer.

I have heard so many people saying that they are willing to get into the business of cancer treatments. Alongside, these many people have ended up being in a field not related to treatments. They’ve embarked themselves into a different interest. As a result, no one is left to continue on pursuing the cure for cancer.

What about the cancer patients? What about those who bleed and those who feel pain? It has always been very piercing to know that cancer victims don’t get the life they want. In ‘My Sister’s Keeper’, the family had to disguise themselves as though they were bald in order to relieve Kate’s feelings after chemotherapy. It’s a sacrifice people should make whenever such times occur.

Science has yet to prevail. The quest for finding a treatment is still held within the scientific hands. To search for a cure for cancer is a must and should. It’s an achievement which will heal one’s soul and the hearts of many. It’s the answer for cancer which we await to find. It’s the suffering which we aspire to end.

juliehugbearThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 9 at 1:12 pm:
this is very true when i watched the movie this is what i grasped from it

prolixity replied...
Aug. 9 at 1:14 pm :
thanks! i loved the part when the mother had to shave off her hair for her daughter. :(

juliehugbearThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 5:41 pm :
me to that just killed me :(