Snowpiercer | Teen Ink

Snowpiercer MAG

By jibberish45 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
jibberish45 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

One of the most exciting aspects of Korean director Joon-ho Bong's long-awaited sci-fi blockbuster, “Snowpiercer,” is that it exists. An experimental cross between post-apocalyptic dystopian fiction, disturbing psychological horror, in-depth character study, and scathing political commentary, “Snowpiercer” blazes a trail of innovation.

A failed attempt to prevent global warming has resulted in an ice age and the death of nearly all life. The only trace of humanity left is aboard the Snowpiercer, a train entirely reliant on a cryptic engine engineered by a enigmatic conductor. The train moves in the same circle for years on end, but maintains a comfortable enough environment to foster these last humans. The passengers are grouped in train cars by social class and how their families first boarded the train. Those who paid for expensive tickets have guaranteed their lineage a permanent spot in the luxurious front of the train, while the children of stowaways reside in the nauseatingly decrepit back cars.

The film becomes a thriller as a group of fraudsters at the back of the train attempt to upset the class system through rebellion. The joy of this section comes from the combination of subtle detail and bombastic action. Gore and combat are coupled with commentary while characters develop and the universe of the train is further fleshed out. Bong is juggling a million balls at once throughout the film, rarely letting one fall.

“Snowpiercer” may be an experimental cross between multiple genres, but it's also a balancing act between intellectual and popcorn entertainment. Someone interested in cool-looking fight scenes could enjoy it as much as a cinephile searching for pitch-perfect editing. “Snowpiercer” is one of the most engaging and exciting films this year.

Wow, thank you so much. This was my first review since 2012 and wasn't sure what the (or any) reaction would be. I wish I could tell you how I got the picture, but someone at Teen Ink must've tracked it down and added it to the article. Still getting re-used to publishing articles on Teen Ink, and thought you could only use the pictures featured as part of the site. Seeing the actual poster was just another great suprise.

AlaNova ELITE said...
on Jul. 17 2014 at 10:26 am
AlaNova ELITE, Naperville, Illinois

Dalai Lama said, "There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called YESTERDAY and the other is called TOMORROW, so today is the right day to love, believe, do, and mostly live..."

Fantastic job on the review! I saw the movie as well, and can honestly say you summed this up perrrrrfectly well. Not to mention your last sentence dangler, 'They don't exist.' :)  Also, quick Q here, how did you get the picture from Amazon? I've been trying to, and can't seem to get it right. Thanks!!