smoke signals | Teen Ink

smoke signals

June 3, 2014
By esmits226 BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
esmits226 BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
yep


Change
Thomas from Smoke Signals, By: Sherman Alexie, is the least touched by the place he lives. I say this because on the reservation, Where they live, everybody is similar. But Thomas is different, He dresses different, looks different, and acts different. But most of all he sees everything differently than many others on the res do. Throughout the whole movie or story he doesn’t change much at all. That is why i believe Thomas is the most unchanged by the area that he lives in.

Thomas dresses differently than others while most people are dressed in very casual clothing,while Thomas wears a suit everyday. He also wears big round set of glasses, unlike anyone in the reservation. He puts his hair in braids and puts them off to the side, while everyone else usually has their hair very long and all over the place looking very wild.. Thats not all about his looks he also refuses to change to look like all the other teen boys on the reservation. No matter how hard Victor tried to get Thomas to change he would’nt. That really shows how he is unphased from where he lives and how they cannot change him.

Thomas throughout the whole movie/story never changes everyone tries to change him for example, when at a bus stop Victor takes Thomas to go make him look more like a warrior. Victor changes Thomas for a short while, He comes out wearing a t-shirt and a pair of jeans also with his hair down opposed to braided. Thomas soon goes back to his original braid and suit. Even as a child Thomas has acted similar to how he does when the story took place. Thomas is not easily swayed by others opinion. He is very independent and will blurt out whatever is on his mind. He will talk to anyone and tell them stories, some of which are not true.

Thomas sees the world in a much different way than most of the natives that live with him on the reservation. Thomas sees the world as a kind of place to go and make new stories, and a place filled with stories for people to tell. Most others see it as a place filled with no sympathy for the natives, and the natives are not very fond of the white people, But i do not believe Thomas feels the same way. Thomas believes if everyone is nice to each other they can get along. A good example of this is when Thomas and Victor are on the bus, on their way to phoenix they met a gymnast, Thomas is talking to her no hostilities she tells them about how she almost was in the olympics, but Victor gets irritated calls her a phony and chases her away, Victor then goes on about how you cannot trust anybody.

In conclusion Thomas has by far changed the least throughout the entire story especially compared to victor. Thomas was the same throughout opposed to his friend victor who changed a lot. Thomas throughout the story is the exact same person he was at the beginning. He sees things different than other people. Lastly he dresses much differently than others at the reservation. Which and none of that changes throughout the story.