Flicka | Teen Ink

Flicka

This is a movie about a young girl who finds a wild mustang out on the range in the beautiful setting of Wyoming. This movie is based on the book of My Friend Flicka. I loved this movie and would recommend it to any age group. Among the characters Tim McGraw playing Katy’s dad and Katy is played by Alison Lohman. Both do a great job with all that happens in the movie. Katy’s father wants more for her and wants her to continue on with college. Well, her older brother Howard takes over the ranch but hasn’t told his father yet that he would rather go to college and let Katy have the ranch because she is the one who loves doing all the things and loves being with horses. When she sees this beautiful mustang, she sets out to go find it and bring it in to the ranch and names her Flicka. Flicka and Katy are more alike than she realizes; like Katy, Flicka has a disdain for authority and is not about to give up her freedom without a fight. When Katy’s dad sells Flicka to the Rodeo association, she gets so upset and gets extremely mad at her father. Her good friend, who is a barrel racer at the Wyoming Rodeo, sees Flicka in the pen for the wild horse race. Then she gets the good idea to enter in the race and chooses Flicka. She then rides her out of the ring which she ends up doing and wins back Flicka. Katy rides her home but nearly home the horse gets attacked by a mountain lion and is badly injured Katy’s does all she can to save her. Katy’s parents set out to find her in the storm and her father finds her, but she is ill and the doctor is not able to make it out to the place. A quote from the movie she says “Its ok daddy you can shoot us,” meaning her and Flicka, her dad brings the horse in and gets her better and surprise Katy and the ending of the movie is a happy ending. In the end I would give this 4 starts is a good movie and anyone of any age can go and enjoy this movie. Overall if you like horses and love the outdoors this may be the movie for you.