Rachel Getting Married | Teen Ink

Rachel Getting Married MAG

By ambreviews GOLD, New Hope, Minnesota
ambreviews GOLD, New Hope, Minnesota

Anne Hathaway has been categorized too often as today’s “good girl,” starring in such flicks as “The Princess Diaries” and “Ella Enchanted.” That stereotyping began to break down when she appeared in “Brokeback Mountain,” and it was completely crushed when she starred in the explicit film “Havoc.”

Now, in “Rachel Getting Married,” Hathaway shows a side not many have seen ­before. Although it was hard for me to picture her in such a role, she overcame my worries. Indeed, this is her finest work to date, and it earned her an ­Oscar nomination.

Of course, Hathaway (as Kym) is certainly not the only star of the film. Her ­sister (played wonderfully by Rosemarie DeWitt) fits right in as Rachel. Debra Winger and Bill Irwin finish off the terrific cast as their divorced parents. The ­story, although simple, is laid out so realistically that I felt part of the wedding celebration. I was Kym as she walked down the dark hallways of the house and accepted everyone’s weary stares. I was in Rachel’s shoes as she tried to make her wedding a glorious day, despite fighting with her sister.

As the story unfolds, we learn a dark secret from the family’s past, and the true ­brutality of a dysfunctional family comes to light. You feel searing pain as Kym reveals that dark secret. You experience an even deeper pain as Rachel admits that she hates her sister. Then, in one of the most emotional scenes in the film, you watch as Kym and her mother argue over that secret.

To realistically capture the drama, the movie is filmed with a handheld camera, making it seem like a home video. Although many will find this adds realism, if you tend to get motion sick, you may want to skip seeing this one on the big screen. The film does portray drug use, though it is not looked upon in a positive light. In addition, they could have trimmed some scenes to ­shorten the film a bit. But no objections can counteract the pros of this film.

As depressing as this story is, hope is not forgotten. As the last scene fades and the credits roll, despite their brutality and stinging honesty, you can’t help feeling hopeful for Rachel and Kym’s family. Even though they fight and say hateful things, deep down they love each other.

I have always loved to write, and I hope that my passion for it shines through this review.

on Dec. 18 2011 at 7:19 pm
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

I agree with your perspective on the movie. Watching "Rachel Getting Married" was different for me. I saw Anne Hathaway in a new light. Not a sweet faced princess or the shining heroine, but a raw and exposed human being with real and serious problems. This movie is a must-see.

on Jul. 30 2010 at 2:54 pm
WritingLoverForever PLATINUM, Bowling Green, Ohio

It's not about success; it's about significance.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Anne Hathaway is my absolute favorite actress. I've loved her ever since I saw Princess Diaries when I was little. I've seen most of her movies. Rachel Getting Married is not one of them, but after reading this review, it sounds like a really good film.

blaague said...
on Jan. 9 2010 at 1:32 pm
I love Anne Hathaway in this movie. Most actors get caught in the current as playing the same type of character for every movie, and Anne broke free from it. She did a lovely job. I love the movie. But I was a little skeptical to watch it when I knew that Anne Hathaway was staring. Greatly, she proved me wrong. I really like your article.

on Aug. 2 2009 at 3:29 pm
ashleyt PLATINUM, Midland, Texas
yes i love that movie and in the end anne was perfect for that role when everything came together if you write like this on a reveiw i'm definately going to readall your stories if you have some writen

on Mar. 25 2009 at 8:06 pm
aquarian SILVER, Woods Cross, Utah
just watched this last night, couldn't agree more.