Slinging the Web: A Review of “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” | Teen Ink

Slinging the Web: A Review of “The Amazing Spider-Man 2”

May 11, 2014
By Thaddeus Towle BRONZE, Jay, Oklahoma
Thaddeus Towle BRONZE, Jay, Oklahoma
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

In the new Marvel/Sony superhero movie “The Amazing Spider-Man 2”, directed by Marc Webb, Andrew Garfield comes back for another Box Office winner in the new Spider-Man Series. This new series, unlike the old, garnishes the phrase “The Amazing” on the title, and actually follows the comic books quite well compared to Tobey Maguire’s older version.

With the new release topping off the box office with $92 Million in its first weekend, this sequel is sure to be a “Super-Hit”! Although this seems like a large profit for its debout, it isn't quite as much as the older trilogy. This version does though seem to offer a much better cast garnishing Andrew Garfield as the web slinging Peter Parker, the beautiful Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy, and even Jamie Foxx as a new villain.

As I stated before, these new movies follow the original comics pretty good, which is sure to excite that comic book nerd inside all of us! Another interesting quality of this blockbuster hit, is the amount of sympathy for the villains and the emotion for the side characters that the viewer will feel throughout the feature. While sitting in our local cinema with a handful of friends, and a lap-full of buttery popcorn, I found myself sympathizing with these “Evil” villains that just so happened to be harming hundreds if not thousands of people. They didn’t necessarily want to be evil, they actually didn't want to hurt anyone in the first place.

I wouldn’t want to spoil the movie for anybody, but there is some pretty big surprises (or not so big if you read the comics) in the movie that my lead you to shed a tear or two. This aspect felt a little odd when I thought about it, I had gone to an ACTION movie, with a group of friends and we found ourselves crying. This aspect, although odd, only added to this “Amazing” movie’s emotional appeal.

The only apparent downfall I found in this movie, besides making your popcorn soggy with tears, is the over amount of villains. Most action movies only offer one, or maybe two main “boss” villians, any more than that are pretty minor. In “The Incredible Spider-Man 2” this isn’t the case; this film packs more punch with three hardcore villains. Although you will never be lacking much in action, it seems as if maybe it could’ve been toned down a little bit.

“The Amazing Spider-Man 2”, has all the qualities of a blockbuster hit. This film offers brutal fight scenes, spectacular visual effects, crazy villains, and a heart-touching, quick-paced storyline that may even leave you a little teary-eyed at times. Even though it seems a little bit busy with all of the villains, this movie is a must see superhero film for not only nerds, but everyone that enjoys good movies. I give “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” a two thumbs up, and you can guarantee that it will find its way on to my shelf when it comes to market.


The author's comments:
I recently went to the movies with a few friends, and was very impressed with the new Spider-Man movie.