Mean Girls | Teen Ink

Mean Girls

May 7, 2014
By Anonymous

Today many would consider this film a classic, from the star-packed cast to the memorable, quotable lines and plot; Mean Girls offers pre-teens to young adults a laughable and relatable film to enjoy. Mark Waters portrays a unique situation of a young girl, Cady Heron (Lindsey Lohan) who recently moves to America from Africa. Lohan is quickly thrown into the world of boys, parties, betrayal and social image. Her rise from the bottom quickly to the top mirrors her own life in recent years. Lohan started as a seemingly innocent Disney actor and has since fallen into a downward spiral of drugs, alcohol and destructive behavior; all after peaking fame several years after the release of this film.

Aside from Lohan, however, Rachel McAdams and Amanda Seyfried have gone on to have extremely successful careers in the movie industry. It seems as though all three of these actors used this movie as a catalyst to their acting career (whether beneficial, or not so beneficial).
Throughout the movie Cady faces similar challenges to the typical American teenager, and this movie offers a comic relief to these everyday problems. Whether it be joining the mathletes or chasing after a best friends ex-boyfriend; the “mean girls” always come out on top.
Or so it seems, until the movie takes a turn for the scandalous when the four main characters begin feuding and the whole school seems to get involved in their personal lives. One determining factor is when the “burn book” is released, a spiral bound book which the girls spill dirty secrets about all of their classmates. When the school finds out about the burn book, and all of the secrets in it; all the girls in the school start fighting, because of the newly found betrayal revealed in the book. This seems to resemble modern day society and or high school relationships in many ways; in that lots of small things build up and keep getting worse until someone or something snaps. The actresses do a tremendous job of portraying modern day high school students, even though many of them are in their early twenties the mannerisms and vernacular used is exceptionally accurate when looking at the film and comparing it to their other work. Some teen-angst films over analyze and blow certain situations out of proportion, however, this movie does an excellent job of maintaining a balance. When I say balance I mean combining humor, satire, artistry and important issues all while providing an overall pleasant experience for the viewer. I will say, however, that the emotional depth of this movie lacks when compared to some of the other films the main actresses play in. Rachel McAdams, plays characters with much more depth in films outside of the realm of “The Mean Girls,” her role in The Notebook leaves the viewer with a connection to the story, and almost attachment to the characters. Whereas in Mean Girls, there is no emotional connection left, other than nostalgia when watching it for a second time after a long while. IT is the perfect movie to watch on an airplane, a long car ride or even in a classroom! It has something to offer for everyone, everyone can relate to one of the scenarios in this plot and the characters make it almost effortless to laugh alongside them.

The cast of actors and actresses is absolutely stacked, from Tina Fey to Amanda Seyfred, the viewer is never disappointed to see each scene unfold and who will be involved in each of the scenarios. Every single issue a common high school student faces is presented in this classic, almost coming of age movie.

There is little to no movie that comes close to a classic film like Mean Girls. When I think of my favorite movies to watch when in need of a girl’s night, or night to myself, I automatically think to Mean Girls for its sarcasm, girly plot line, tremendous characters and golden quotes. I highly recommend this movie for anyone in need of a good laugh, nostalgia or classic girls film.