Cathing Fire | Teen Ink

Cathing Fire

Anyone who likes a good trilogy has been following the Hunger Games trilogy. The recent release of the second part of the poplar young adult story has had great success. Many say that sequels are never as good as the first one, but this movie has for sure proven that sequels can be good. Catching fire succeeded with nearly all of the movie aspects.

Jennifer Lawrence, the famous Katniss Everdeen, has again proven to the world that her acting skills are suited for the badass role of Katniss. She, as expected, put on a performance that gave life to the entire movie. Her acting is so great that some people claim that she is the only reason the movie was a success. The female fan base of the movie may disagree, as Josh Hutcherson (Peeta Mellark) and Liam Hemsworth (Gale) had quite the performances as well. They lived up to the standards that Jennifer Lawrence creates by just being her, and by pouring out her talent on camera. All the actors selected for the rest of the characters fit the descriptions of the book. Every single character was depicted to perfection as Susan Collins wrote.

Acting was not the only thing that caused the success of Cathing Fire. The director, Francis Lawrence, clearly read the book and was able to keep most of the plot as it was written. There was one important detail left out in the movie that gives the reader/watcher a great clue about the arena. In the Book, as Katniss dances with the game maker Plutarch Heveansbee, he hints the clock arena by showing Katniss his new watch. The watch is not part of the movie. Such important little detail is supposed to clarify a lot for whoever is watching the movie. Katniss is supposed to make the connection with the help of her ally and with the watch hint. Other than that, the entire plot followed the book. The effects of the movie turned out to be a success, and it is possible to tell that they followed the director’s vision.

The biggest complaint about Catching fire happens to be the way the movie ended. Almost every person who watched the movie complained about the ending. Only those who read (few) understand that the story is meant to be cut like that. It is called a cliffhanger! That cliffhanger is also in the end of the book. The ending of the movie is the ending of the book. It is a terrible cliffhanger, and it causes anger. That is what a cliffhanger is supposed to do. It has to give readers and watchers the need to go back for the third part. The director did a great job at incorporating the cliffhanger. No one should complain about such stupid detail.

Plus, Catching fire is completely appropriate for most age groups. There is some blood and some deaths, but nothing to be concerned about. Parents can easily cover their children’s eyes if they feel like one of the scenes is just too much. After all, no one wants a kid with nightmares. There is also the fact that the movie has message. It shows that perseverance can lead to great things. This is what Katniss Everdeen shows everyone.

The movie was a success. Catching fire was overall a great movie from any aspect. Of course at the end it depends on the taste of the reader, but the movie itself was well made, well-acted, well edited. It happens to be a good family movie, and it is very entertaining. Just make sure you watch the first one beforehand. Catching Fire is most definitely a must watch.