Frozen | Teen Ink

Frozen MAG

May 7, 2014
By BuiBui BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
BuiBui BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
what quote?


Disney's recent animated film is cute and can be surprising, but the hype over “Frozen” is overkill. This movie contains adorable, fun content for kids and some adult jokes that somehow passed the censor. The soundtrack is catchy and cute, although some of the songs are quite dark.

The beginning of the movie is mostly singing – but remember, it is Disney, so there have to be songs. “Frozen Heart” opens the movie with a mysterious folk sound, making audiences expect something foreign. The next song, “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” is adorable, but its message is sad; Anna is constantly rejected by her older sister, Elsa, and a tragic event takes place during the song. A few minutes later, “For the First Time in Forever” plays. It made me wonder why Anna does not venture outside the castle when she is constantly rejected by Elsa. Then “Love is an Open Door” starts as Anna meets Hans and falls in love. The song seems like they are on a fun date, but suddenly Hans proposes. Even crazier, Anna says yes. They just met that day! Then comes Elsa's big number, “Let It Go,” which is really well done and has a different feeling from typical Disney songs. The next two songs, “In Summer” and “Fixer Upper,” return the audience to the classic Disney movie feeling.

The plot leaves a lot of unanswered questions. The story takes many turns as the movie progresses, only to have the typical “beat the villain” ending. Not revealing any spoilers, I will say that the ending leaves the audience with questions like “Where did Elsa get her powers?” and “Did anyone else notice Anna throwing around the human bust like it was a paperweight?” There are some plot holes that should have been patched up.

The characters deserve praise. All are original and not copied from previous Disney characters. Each is easy to love. We have the ice man, Kristoff; the main protagonist, Anna; and Sven, the trusty reindeer. In addition, there's Olaf, the dorky snowman, who provides humor to distract the audience from the serious plot. With jokes like “Oh, I've been impaled” and “I don't have a skull,” the audience quickly falls in love with Olaf.

Then there's Prince Hans, who is a “mirror” – shallowly reflecting only what others feel toward him. During the song “Love Is an Open Door,” Hans only returns Anna's feelings and doesn't display emotions of his own. Finally, there's Elsa, the ice queen who causes the main conflict. Her personality is weak and insecure. She runs away and ignores her problems. She enjoys her newfound freedom, but part of her is still held back by fear. The moral of Elsa's character: Don't run away, kids.

“Frozen” has content for a wide audience, but it could be better organized. The music includes different styles, keeping the audience wondering what they will hear next. The bright side is the characters. Each is original and more complex than what is shown on screen. For me, seeing “Frozen” the first time was fun and cute. But by the second time, it got annoying.