Saving Private Ryan | Teen Ink

Saving Private Ryan MAG

By michaelaz BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
michaelaz BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

If the audience for a film about World War II expects to see blood and action, the first twenty minutes of “Saving Private Ryan” should be satisfying. The film begins with the battle of D-Day and the Germans opening fire on American troops storming the beaches. The camera movement is consistent with the action, allowing viewers to feel the chaos as if they are really there.

For a film that was made in 1998, the cinematography is off the charts. It is as if “Saving Private Ryan” was made last month. The film cost $70 million, which seems about right for the extraordinary scenes. The movie won five Oscars and received over 56 nominations.

The men under the command of ex-English teacher Captain Miller (Tom Hanks) must find a paratrooper named Private James Ryan (Matt Damon). All of Private Ryan's siblings have been killed in combat, so the military has granted him leave to go home to his mother. But his squad parachuted into Germany way off course, and now Miller's group must retrace Ryan's steps in order to bring him home safely. The soldiers undergo many conflicts on their journey to find the private, with many great stories along the way. In the midst of the journey and losing comrades, the men band together.

The best thing about this movie is the cast, each member of which fits his or her role to perfection. Not only are the characters' personalities phenomenal, they are also played by big-time actors. Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Tom Sizemore, Edward Burns, Barry Pepper, Adam Goldberg, Vin Diesel, Giovanni Ribisi, and Jeremy Davies are a few of the names that top the list.

While “Saving Private Ryan” provides viewers with spine-chillingly realistic gore and explosions, those aren't the only reasons why this movie is extraordinary and should be at the top of film collectors' lists. It shows the brotherhood and camaraderie of men who risked everything to save the life of one soldier whose family had sacrificed so much. Now that is something special.

Everyone should see this film. It is definitely life-changing. If you are a sensitive person, then it might bring tears to your eyes. I give it 11 out of 10 stars.