Divergent | Teen Ink

Divergent

May 8, 2014
By Russell Decker BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Russell Decker BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Divergent is an action packed thriller full of crazy futuristic ideas. I saw the movie recently with my girlfriend. It was a fun movie to watch. The movie takes place in a post-world war in the run down version of Chicago. The society is divided into five fractions. The Amity is happy hippie farmers, who dress in fruity colors. The Candor is the group that runs the judicial system of society and only speaks the truth. The Erudite are the scholars of the society, spending all there time in labs studying and making discoveries. The Abnegation is selfless and modest. Last but not least are the Dauntless who are the protectors of the society. They are all well trained fighters and adrenaline junkies. Everyone in the society must choose his or her fraction at the age of eighteen and once he or she selects a certain fraction they are stuck in it for life. The main character, Tris is born into a family of Abnegation. The young adults choose his or her life path based on a mental test that is given to each eighteen year old. When Tris takes the test she comes back inconclusive. This means that she is divergent. Divergent is someone who could fit in all the fractions. The government is suppressive and wants to eliminate all divergents. Knowing this, Tris keeps it a secret and decides to leave her family and train with Dauntless. Her leader, named Four, also is divergent and they form a relationship. As they Dauntless soldiers are about to be fully trained they are all injected with a serum to make their brains controllable, this serum works on everyone except the divergent people. The serum is inject because on fraction intends to take over the entire society. Tris, Four and other divergents fight back against the government take over. The movie was fun to watch however I thought the movie was shallow.

There was no deep interlaying message. It was corny, “fight your hardest and never give up” kind of movie. I also did not appreciate the main actress for the role of Tris. She was a girly girl. How does one expect a girly girl to stop a government heist? The thing that killed the movie was her acting. She made me realize that everyone was just acting and not experiencing the scenarios. Four and Tris also had a shallow physical relationship going on throughout the film. Watching the movie made me feel like I was watching a group of teenagers going through high school. The movie was basically set up the same as high school with the consequences being much higher. The “mental test” everyone goes through is parallel to the ACT or SAT, the fraction each person joins is parallel to the major a college student selects, then after training in the fraction he or she become a master, similar to graduating college and selecting a career path. The movie kept my eyes from closing and my mouth from snoring but as I left the movie and thought about it there was not much to think about. I love the movies that after watching I feel inspired and am left with something to mentally chew on. This movie does not leave the audience with that. I would classify the target audience as high school girls. The movie is not overly violent but has lots of soft core action; it has a love story, a female hero, and lots of ripped males. My girlfriend loved the movie. I would not recommend this movie to my parents because they would find it pointless, however I would recommend it to my two younger sisters.