Hotel Rwanda | Teen Ink

Hotel Rwanda

By skittrman SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
skittrman SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

"Everything is possible for Him who believes."

Hotel Rwanda

In the movie Hotel Rwanda, I find that I display similar characteristics to Paul Rusesabagina. This fantastic film displays an important story based on character, the evolution of that character, as well as the strengths of the character. Paul bribed a general and a local businessman to ensure that the Hotel Mille Collines, which he managed, ran smoothly and had a steady supply of excellent food and liquor for the wealthy guests. Paul wanted to provide a good life for his family by achieving success as a hotel manager. At that point, Paul was in a Teflon cocoon. To live in a Teflon cocoon was to attempt to deny one’s own place in the moral ecology (or at least to deny any relationship that places an obligation on the individual). He was living a self-centered existence. Paul was viewing his life in terms of what he needed or desired. This was how I used to act. I only cared about me, and the wants that I had. I cringed at the thought of doing service, whereas now I am seeking places to serve others.

At first Paul wanted to reap the benefits of being manager of an important hotel. He was even hanging out with higher up people such as General Bizimungu. I realized I was acted similar to how Paul was when I was in eighth grade. My mentality was that there was only one year to go, and then I was off to high school. I still tried, but I took the easy route. My parents thought I joined the choir because I loved to sing. However, I really only joined because I thought it would help me out with girls at the school.

I have acted similar to Paul many times. We both had big hearts but we never wanted anyone to witness our emotions, because we were afraid that they would look at us as weak. There was a scene in the film when Paul had just seen the horror of thousands of dead bodies on a road he was told to take. He was in his room getting dressed. Paul begins to tear up and then begins weeping. An employee knocks on the door to see if he was okay, and Paul said he was fine and that he would be out shortly. I have done this many times. However, when I experienced panic like Paul did, it was when my grandma died suddenly, and that was nowhere near the magnitude of what Paul was grieving over.

Somehow Paul managed to find it in himself to pull it together. He used his conscience as guidance towards the end of the film. This was Paul’s personal integrity. Also known as, stage six of Kohlberg’s Levels of Moral Awareness. He felt his ego or his authentic self. He knew it was his job to protect the lives of the people in his hotel. I have felt the same way as Paul did at this moment in the film. I knew it was my job to be strong for my dad and my little brother when my grandma died. I knew there was no reward for being the strong one, but I had to do it. Paul and I only cared about the people that God had put in front of us, and what we knew we needed to do for them. Even though our situations were very different and Paul was considered a hero, in my mind, my actions were similar to Paul’s as I had to step up to the plate and be the strong one, the one in charge, to be there for my dad and brother. In a way, I was my grandma’s hero; a hero in an act of pure love.