Nightmare on Elm. Street | Teen Ink

Nightmare on Elm. Street

By samantthaarenee BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
samantthaarenee BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

ayy lmao

A Nightmare on your street

In today’s society being frightened and on edge is looked at as exciting to most young adults. Much like roller coasters, horror films give you that fun-fear effect that young people enjoy. Or maybe a better reason why young people love horror is because it’s fun, duh!

Adrenaline is yet another reason us youngsters enjoy being scared. Not knowing what or who might pop up keeps you on the edge of your seat with peeled eyes. Scary movies also tend to exploit rational fears. Fears such as demons, ghosts, creepy children, and of course fear of the dark. Sleeping wasn’t a generally scary thought until a new film arises that makes you question getting a good night’s rest.

Samuel Bayer’s A Nightmare on Elm. Street is one of the few films in the horror genre that really gave me that frightened feeling. The simple task of falling asleep is suddenly questioned in 2010. “Don’t fall asleep” - words to live by for Elm. Street teens. This movie introduced the infamous razor-fingered Freddy Krueger. Freddy is a gruesome half burned man that tortures and kills 8 teens through their dreams. Think you’ve had nightmares? Welcome to the real one.

The nightmares are turning into reality as these teens realize they all have a connection with Kruegar. With their friends dropping like flies around them they soon start to discover they all went to the same primary school, and Kruegar was fired because of them. Freddy now seeks revenge on the teens who have now moved all around the state of California. This film is the perfect balance of fright and mystery and keeps fans of the genre happy. If you're into gore and unique horror, I highly recommend it.