A Relevant Proposal: Romantic Comedies | Teen Ink

A Relevant Proposal: Romantic Comedies

April 11, 2014
By T_Green BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
T_Green BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"For i know that plans i have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11


A Relevant Proposal: Romantic Comedies

Romantic Comedies have become increasingly popular in society because they appeal to our emotions. Viewers enjoy these romantic comedies because they feature enjoyable love stories and heartache that give you the feels. Humor is another reason people are drawn to romantic comedies; no one can resist a good laugh and a happy ending which the majority of these films contain.

Romantic Comedies also hint at current social issues going on in our world today; they can allude to controversies such as employment struggle and immigration. Slight exposure to common social issues is beneficial to the audience because, as well as making the film interesting, they subconsciously force the audience’s attention toward these problems. Half of the time, audiences don’t even realize they are being introduced to such social matters; therefore, Romantic Comedies are the perfect catalyst for creating public awareness.

The Proposal is a perfect example of the ideal for romantic comedies; it includes humorous and heartfelt moments that intrigue its viewers. Sandra Bullock does an extraordinary job of playing the main character, Margaret Tate, who is the pushy boss of Andrew Paxton, her assistant in the movie, and is played by Ryan Reynolds. In the beginning, we see that Margaret's relationship with Andrew is very professional and precise; however, Margaret pushes her limits too far when she forces Andrew to marry her to avoid deportation back to Canada. Out of spite, Andrew forces Margaret to get down on her knees and propose to him in the middle of New York City. The humor continues as Andrew succumbs Margaret's plan and the lies commence. Starting with the immigration office, Margaret and Andrew lie regarding their "engagement" despite the consequences if they are caught. Next, Margaret is thrown out of her city life to Alaska to lie to Andrew's friends and family. One of the funniest scenes is where Margaret gets in touch with nature and does a hilarious chant. Margaret soon finds herself falling in love with Andrew, his family, and his quaint life in Alaska.

As entertaining as it is, the proposal also hints at underlying social issues that are prominent in society. One major issue is unemployment. Margaret battles with unemployment; however, she, unlike many US citizens finds a way out of it. Margaret's situation also implies the struggle with immigration issues. The immigration office is depicted as a bustling yet unproductive place, and Margaret, struggling with deportation, must navigate her way through. The Proposal also shows what a traditional marriage situation looks like: a man and woman bonding with family and the passing down of family heirlooms to the next-generation; however, without the legal turmoil. Overall, The Proposal is a hilarious yet romantic movie that will intrigue and delight viewers until the very last scene.