The Book Thief | Teen Ink

The Book Thief

By Cady Flohrschutz BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Cady Flohrschutz BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

The Future Speaks in Our Past
In our culture, historical fiction continues to be a popular genre. Why is this so? Historical fiction tells stories of the past, but what we would have done in that situation; the main character often personifies the present era. This particular form of fiction makes us, as humans; feel better about the atrocities of our past. It has almost therapeutic qualities in spite of the fact that many -if not all- of the viewers were probably not alive at the time the film was meant to take place.

An excellent example of historical fiction is the movie entitled The Book Thief which is based on the New York Times best seller. The characters in this movie are remarkably relatable because they act not much different from how we would today. Set in Nazi Germany, the main character named Liesel displays modern characteristics by lusting after books and senatorially proclaiming her hatred of Hitler. An act punishable by death then, but now widely agreed with.

The Book Thief ends exactly how it begins: death and sorrow. Liesel and her little brother are orphans sent to live with Mr. and Mrs. Hans; however, her brother unexpectedly dies on the train ride. Alone and terrified Liesel must confront her new parents who at first seem to only want her because of the money they will get from the state. Nevertheless, she soon warms up to them, especially her new father who teaches her how to read and write. Liesel quickly comes to the realization that she can’t always speak her mind. Similar to the popular dystopia book 1984 because her actions are always being watched. Although she decides to take the chance of being arrested when the Jewish man they are hiding becomes agonizingly sick; Liesel sneaks out to secretly “borrows” books from a wealthy family living nearby to read to him as entertainment while he recovers.

Audiences will undoubtedly become emotionally attached to the dynamic characters in the film after watching them over the film’s several year span. In the end, everyone Liesel had come to love dies during an unexpected bombing. Liesel is once again left all alone. The Book Thief is a cruelly realistic and memorable movie that will ensnare its viewers in a whirlwind of emotions.