Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

awesome13 said...
Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:55 am:
i like this movie but i think they copied things from harry potter and sorry to say............ harry potter all the way

DamonSalvatore1864 replied...
Oct. 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm :
I LOOOOOOOOOOVE Harry Potter...but how were some things copied?

tennis4life>> said...
i dissagree with most people i LOVE the movie but every one is intitled to thier own opinnion

Chocochip_1234 replied...
Jan. 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm :
im with you!!! i love twilight and all the other movies. Go twilight!!!!!!!!!

tard22 said...
Nov. 22, 2010 at 8:34 am:
hate! harry potter all the way baby.

Dubella456 replied...
Dec. 5, 2010 at 8:19 pm :
I am with you!!!!!!!!!

tard21 said...
Nov. 22, 2010 at 8:32 am:
I hate this movie. Harry Poter all the way

spongebob said...
thats totally wrong

Moviebuff0202 said...

Twilight is ___.  Fill in the blank.  Meanwhile, go see Harry Potter rather than Breaking Dawn.

P.S.  Twilight is a ripoff of Harry Potter in soooooo many ways, but the most irritating is that Twilight 4: THe Movie is also being split into two parts.  I mean, come on! Have an original idea!

Moviebuff0202 replied...
Nov. 10, 2010 at 7:44 pm :
Having said that, I will admit that the article itself is very well written.

Eliza019 said...
The writing style is pretty bad to say the least. I'm not a huge grammar and mechanics person but i was still really annoyed when whole paragraphs and chapters had sentences that started with I and talked about Bella hunting in her kitchen. Was that supposed to be symbolic?

TheJustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 6:57 am :
If it was a narrative why is it so wrong that a sentence starts with "I"? That's how most narratives are...

AaronLawrence said...
I can't stand the books and the movies are even worse.  Doesn't anyone realize that their REAllY not originial. 

KrystalT said...
I've seen the first 2 movies and read all 4 and a half books. It is my personal opinion that the books are better than the movies. Then again I think the same thing of the Harry Potter books and movies. But I must say that the review was a good one. I liked it alot.

Brook_little_obbsessive said...
Gorgous review! Absouletely beautifully written!

Brett B. said...

This book sucks don't read it

Baller 101 said...
I really like this movie. I think everyone should go watch it. It is a girly movie but also the newest one has a lot of action scenes, so the guys might like it.

pig 4 life said...
i love this movie, i totally dig this vanpire thing i mean i am 1 and my pig fangs will suck u dry

Harrypotter202abc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 19, 2010 at 10:58 am :
Dude  ur joking right?

Safeleo replied...
Apr. 4, 2011 at 11:59 pm :
get a life pig.

hernandenj1 said...
i love this review i have to one for a movie in my english class and we have to pick a teen magazine that would be our audience and im going with teen ink because yall do really great reviews. You invite us in the story and leave us wanting more and wanting to watch it.