Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

jstreet said...
this is very well written but it doesnt have anything to do with jacob and the love triangle between them

tsinger07 said...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 7:51 pm:
(to start off) This review was very well written! When I read the books I got really into them although I will admit I later realized, (after I was over the emotional content of the story), that the author wasn't nearly as creative compared with others I have read.  I will be honest and say that I liked the movies though I think it didn't give the real idea of the book justice. I also agree when people say the concept of the story wasn't original and the reason I think it was so popular is ... (more »)

Youallfail replied...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 11:09 am :
I completely agree, Twilight is Romeo and Juliet all over again with a supernatural twist. Stephenie Meyer could have added in a lot more details. I like the part about James being a hunter, but this is mostly a sappy love story.

Ice_Queen replied...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 8:07 pm :
You do realize that Romeo and Juliet SUCKED right? Even teachers despise this story.

Ice_Queen replied...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 8:11 pm :
Actually, I wish it was like Romeo and Juliet. They'd both die in the end, and I'd quit hearing about how hot and good actors they are, 'cause they'd be in the ground. Now THAT would be a good ending.

ShkspearDramedy4evr replied...
Feb. 22, 2012 at 2:52 am :

The story seems meant to reflect Romeo and Juliet, only in a modern and supernatural world that gives teens like me, who love vampires/werewolves, dragons, and other scifi/fantasy things another, nicer take on it.  As for Romeo and Juliet "sucking," no, it does not.  It's a rather well-written script, with witty banter and characters that, while they may not be realistic according to our times and customs (Yes, I know, people don't fall that deep into love with eachother in less tha... (more »)

Snark replied...
Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:42 am :
The reason so many people like Twilight is actually pretty simple: there is a stereotype for every single 'type' of guy. Emmett: the friendly jock. Edward: the untouchable angsty rich guy. Jasper: brooding with a hint of danger. Carlisle: all-around nice guy and doctor. It's really quite shallow.

JustTheDoctor replied...
Oct. 27, 2012 at 11:06 am :
@Ice_Queen - Are you joking? Nobody thinks Romeo and Juliet sucks. Whoever taught it to you and disliked it was a very tiny minority among teachers.

Nai N. N. said...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 6:52 pm:

I felt that both the novel and movie was okay. The myths that were used along with the lives of the Cullens gave a fresh perspective on the hypothedical way of life for a vampire. 

But, lets be honest. In the novel Bella was spineless, and in the movie I just wanted to slap her. Stewart was stuttering half the time, giving her scenes an extra awkward edge.

Edward's character was portrayed in an interesting way-- I do not think Pattinson did a poor job, nor an excellent one.... (more »)

NinjaHummingbird said...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 1:43 pm:
This is written very well, but I have to say that I thought the Twilight movies and books are absolutely terrible. Kristen Stewart had the emotional range of a spoon and Robert Pattinson just can't act. I think the plot of all of the books and movies are ridiculous in general.

luckynumber_13 replied...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 8:03 pm :
"emotional ranga of a spoon." hilarious and so accuraye XD

ayeshamuzaffar This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm :
I can't agree more ninja. 

beccasky replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 10:48 am :
I completely agree. This is a great artical but I hate Twilight. I don't understand what's so great about it? The actors need some lessons I think.

Lexie96 replied...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm :
Or maybe the director needs more lessons, ever seen Kristen Stewart in Panic Room or The Women? The girl is a good actress, and plays Bella right. As for Rob, well, he was in Harry Potter with a superb director and he was fantastic in that... so, yeah, I have to say maybe the director is at fault.

Coyotalia said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 10:29 pm:
I commend both your style of writing and your opinion. I, too, adored the movie and believe that the actors/actresses did very well in portraying Stephenie Meyer's characters.

luckynumber_13 said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 1:17 pm:

I'm going to be blunt--are you out of your mind???!!!

how on earth do you watch Twilight and come away from the experience thinking it's a good movie??? if i were Stephenie, i would personally be insulted and ashamed that the book i wrote was made into something so painful to watch! K.S. had a grand total of maybe 1.5 facial expressions, and R.P. just seemed bored and tense the whole time. Most people here have the opinion that your review is very well written, and i have to agree. but... (more »)

Ice_Queen replied...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 8:09 pm :
*hands in air* THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zoid123 replied...
Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:40 am :
I think that what you are saying is somewhat true. R.P. although is supposed to come off as stiff. He is trying to avoid falling for her because he doesn't want to hurt her. BUUUUTT, I do agree that K.S. could come off better and have more facial expressions.

AgentMandark said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 12:51 am:

Hun, your writing is beautiful and sounds almost natural; it just...flows, you know? However...as amazing as your writing is, you're using it for the wrong reasons.

Kristen Stewart bringing Bella to life? Personally, I thought KS was incapable of emotion. And RobPat looked constipated and angsty the entire time.

The movie wasn't good. At all. Even when I was hopelessly obsessed with Twilight, I thought the movie was terrible.

So, good writing. Inaccurate revie... (more »)

jamikim said...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 7:46 pm:
i like the books a lot better than the movies. the movies suck. :(