Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight MAG

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

on May. 20 2012 at 12:11 pm
twilightfan4eva, Sangre Grange, Other

Believe in God

AMAZING MOVIE!

tsl2013 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 12 2012 at 11:40 pm
tsl2013 BRONZE, Breakfast, Iowa

i love you damonsalvatore 1864 i cant tell u how hilarious it was tht aftr seeing ur username the 1st time i knew ud reccomend the best vampire series at some point!

on Mar. 9 2012 at 12:44 pm
Ana_vrin SILVER, Corpus Christi, Texas
7 articles 1 photo 1 comment

-I'd rather be hated for who i am then be loved for who i am not. by kurt cobain
-The worst crime is faking it. by kurt cobain

well your missing out they are the best movies in the world:)

zoid123 GOLD said...
on Mar. 7 2012 at 11:40 am
zoid123 GOLD, Charlotte, Vermont

Trying to be someone your not is a waste of the person you currently are.

I think that what you are saying is somewhat true. R.P. although is supposed to come off as stiff. He is trying to avoid falling for her because he doesn't want to hurt her. BUUUUTT, I do agree that K.S. could come off better and have more facial expressions.

zoid123 GOLD said...
on Mar. 7 2012 at 11:38 am
zoid123 GOLD, Charlotte, Vermont

zoid123 GOLD said...
on Mar. 7 2012 at 11:35 am
zoid123 GOLD, Charlotte, Vermont

Try checking out Queen of The Damned, or Interview with the Vampire. If I am remembering correctly Interview with the vampire as "typical" vampries. Queen of The Damned has vampires but gives a little bit of an interesting twist on them. But I think it still haves the scare your looking for in them. I loved both movies if you have never watched either then you should think about checking them out.

on Feb. 22 2012 at 2:52 am

The story seems meant to reflect Romeo and Juliet, only in a modern and supernatural world that gives teens like me, who love vampires/werewolves, dragons, and other scifi/fantasy things another, nicer take on it.  As for Romeo and Juliet "sucking," no, it does not.  It's a rather well-written script, with witty banter and characters that, while they may not be realistic according to our times and customs (Yes, I know, people don't fall that deep into love with eachother in less than three conversations), they still capture our love or our disgust with their innocence and blatant naivety. Bluntly, they make us feel something. If we take the time to understand the text in Romeo and Juliet, we may find ourselves interacting with the main characters as if they were real, laughing at their follies, swooning, or snorting, as the case may be, at their sappy flirtations.  When their plans get skewed we know just what will happen.

As far as Twilight, I did enjoy the book.  Stephanie Meyer added a nice touch by using Bella's english reading assignment (Romeo and Juliet) to forshadow this morbid and unlikely romance between the 'vampire' and the narrator. I admit, a lot of the time I was imagining myself as Bella, but that's almost what makes this book so good. Bella is entirely human, entirely average, (as to Kristen's portrayal...I will acknowledge that the character she was trying to portray didn't have a distinct personality, or have one at all, other than lonely, angsty teenager, so given the circumstances, she did alright), while Edward is described as extremely handsome, and whether your type has bronzed hair or not doesn't matter, because it is a book and you can imagine whatever hair you like, and whichever face as well, which isn't something movies allow you to do (and frankly, Robert Pattinson isn't my ideal stud, and his interpretation of the role seemed more overprotective than loving, which also isn't my favorite choice). 

I think it's interesting that the first time she actually sees him, he constantly is glaring at her, and doesn't want to touch her, which, for a girl like Bella, who hasn't had many friends (and would therefore care if people seem to hate her for no conceivable reason), could lead to: avoidance (as much as possible; there's no reason to try and put yourself where you not only don't belong but are also not wanted), or confrontation. Since avoiding him is taken away by her biology class, well...

I don't think vampires are sparkly and unkillable and whatnot, nor that people with 12-pack abs actually turn into werewolves when said sparkly freaks are nearby (no offense intended to sparkle-lovers), but that really isn't the point of the story.  And the point? Enjoyment.  Whether you like it or not, the book contains a well-thought out universe using age-old ideas presented in a new, and interesting, way.

The movie, however, I did not like. Partially, this distaste is due to the actors' portrayal of the two main characters, but mainly it is the ommittance of the longest (and my favorite) conflict of the first book: Edward in the sunlight.  The director took his shame and her curiosity and turned it into a drive to scare her away, and her hormonal tendency to overlook the fact that he's a killer addicted to blood, and his favorite type? Her! She turned the revealing of his sun-bared skin from a symbol of his love and trust in her to not run from him or laugh at him, or even tease him, into an embodiment (however that is spelled...) of a desire to, somehow, get her to stay away from him. Albeit it's supposedly for her own safety and thus still an act of love, but it loses some of the meaning, I think.

Yeah I know, really long bunch of blah, blah, blah, but hey, just because a piece of art has been talked about by too many people doesn't make it any less a work of art.  Not all teachers hate Romeo and Juliet, and not all teens are adoring fans of the Twilight Saga, or Taylor Lautner's abs.  I like Stephanie Meyer's writing for her wonderful ability to draw the reader in as the main character, and her books always draw me into whichever universe she's created in whatever book I choose to read by her.  It's a lot of fun to be able to go through experiences with her characters, but also to contrast myself with them; what I would do differently in their situations, and if I'd really do anything different at all.  She makes me laugh; she makes me cry, and everything in between.  I'd recommend reading her books to anyone, as long as they're read, and not watched ;)

Caravana GOLD said...
on Feb. 20 2012 at 10:49 am
Caravana GOLD, Joplin, Missouri

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through him who gives me strength."

I really liked your writing style for this review and you did great informing the audience. With that said I don't think it matters who agrees or disagrees you may not like the series but the actual questions that should be asked is how well the writer did with this work personal opinion on the series itself does not matter. Good Job I loved it :)

Zayyy BRONZE said...
on Feb. 14 2012 at 6:53 pm
Zayyy BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
WHat!!!! okay everyone likes twilight but i try to make my story on the magizine too, i guess i suck>> :(

Twilight6245 said...
on Feb. 1 2012 at 1:01 pm
I love twilight and I have seen all of the movies!! They are the best book and movie series in the whole world!! P.S. Taylor lautner is hot!!

on Jan. 23 2012 at 8:26 pm
FrozenInChaos SILVER, Cottonwood, California

"Oh, Children. Shame on you. He just wanted to be your friend,..... and you exploded him."

You're writing is good, though i entirely disagree. Vampires don't sparkle in nature.

on Jan. 23 2012 at 6:40 pm
_emmadilemma_, Private, Colorado

"All of the secrets in the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk." -Lemony Snicket

I whole-heartedly agree.

Bones96 BRONZE said...
on Jan. 1 2012 at 9:04 pm
Bones96 BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

Life isn't about finding yourself it's about creating yourself-

Your writing is good but I have to disagree with you. I don't think Twilight is a good book or movie. And I don't think Bella sets a good role model for girls. We shouldn't put it out there if you don't have a boyfriend you can't be happy and when he brakes up with you should be all depressed. It's not the end of the world things happen things. And vegetarian vampires who sparkle I mean come on really? The romance part is fine (even if I didn't find it really all that romantic) and Happy endings are fine but now this is what the teen section is filled will mostly. This is only my opinion

on Jan. 1 2012 at 2:36 pm
manda315 SILVER, Voorhees, New Jersey

Piglet:"How do you spell love?"
Pooh:"You can't spell love. You feel it."

LUV TWIGHT!! its the best!! good job! :)

on Dec. 12 2011 at 4:34 pm
i-love-cupcakes, New York, New York
i love twilight!!!! i have all the movies

on Dec. 7 2011 at 9:25 pm
Amery2014 BRONZE, Star Prairie, Wisconsin
The books are amazing, and the movies are good.  Whenever someone makes a movie based on a book they cut things out. but that's understandable. if they didn't cut things out in the twilight saga movies, they would be like 6hours long. 

on Nov. 30 2011 at 8:11 pm
Ice_Queen PLATINUM, Peoria, Arizona

Love is anterior to life, posterior to death, initial of creation, and the exponent of breath.
-Emily Dickinson

Actually, I wish it was like Romeo and Juliet. They'd both die in the end, and I'd quit hearing about how hot and good actors they are, 'cause they'd be in the ground. Now THAT would be a good ending.

on Nov. 30 2011 at 8:09 pm
Ice_Queen PLATINUM, Peoria, Arizona

-Emily Dickinson

*hands in air* THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on Nov. 30 2011 at 8:07 pm
Ice_Queen PLATINUM, Peoria, Arizona

-Emily Dickinson

You do realize that Romeo and Juliet SUCKED right? Even teachers despise this story.

on Nov. 30 2011 at 8:06 pm
Ice_Queen PLATINUM, Peoria, Arizona

-Emily Dickinson

I think the term is "fluff-ball dog", not werewolf.