Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

zoid123 said...
Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:35 am:
Try checking out Queen of The Damned, or Interview with the Vampire. If I am remembering correctly Interview with the vampire as "typical" vampries. Queen of The Damned has vampires but gives a little bit of an interesting twist on them. But I think it still haves the scare your looking for in them. I loved both movies if you have never watched either then you should think about checking them out.

Caravana said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 10:49 am:
I really liked your writing style for this review and you did great informing the audience. With that said I don't think it matters who agrees or disagrees you may not like the series but the actual questions that should be asked is how well the writer did with this work personal opinion on the series itself does not matter. Good Job I loved it :)

DarkLonely said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 6:53 pm:
WHat!!!! okay everyone likes twilight but i try to make my story on the magizine too, i guess i suck>> :(

Twilight6245 said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 1:01 pm:
I love twilight and I have seen all of the movies!! They are the best book and movie series in the whole world!! P.S. Taylor lautner is hot!!

FrozenInChaos said...
You're writing is good, though i entirely disagree. Vampires don't sparkle in nature.

Bones96 said...
Your writing is good but I have to disagree with you. I don't think Twilight is a good book or movie. And I don't think Bella sets a good role model for girls. We shouldn't put it out there if you don't have a boyfriend you can't be happy and when he brakes up with you should be all depressed. It's not the end of the world things happen things. And vegetarian vampires who sparkle I mean come on really? The romance part is fine (even if I didn't find it really all that romantic) and Happy endings... (more »)

_emmadilemma_ replied...
Jan. 23, 2012 at 6:40 pm :
I whole-heartedly agree.

Herpderpington replied...
Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:52 am :
While I whole-heartedly agree, I know that some people will always love this series and we can't change that. Have fun reading Twilight, guys. Don't come complaining to me when it gets bad.

manda315 said...
LUV TWIGHT!! its the best!! good job! :)

misteriousgirl said...
i love twilight!!!! i have all the movies

Amery2014 said...
The books are amazing, and the movies are good.  Whenever someone makes a movie based on a book they cut things out. but that's understandable. if they didn't cut things out in the twilight saga movies, they would be like 6hours long. 

browneyedcat said...
The book was great. People just don't realize in this economy and era there's a lot of hate and darkness. We need happy endings nowadays. That is why the twilight series are so popular. 

Snark replied...
Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:35 am :
Really. In a book where vampires periodically kill each other by ripping their opponents apart limb from limb and incinerating the twitching remains. Don't even get me started on the actual story.

wanda said...
i never watched a single movie of twilight,now i regret t,im gonna tri to catch up!

nani11This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm :
well your missing out they are the best movies in the world:)

Snark replied...
Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:36 am :
No, really, you're not missing a single thing. Please preserve your sanity by avoiding the books, movies, or anything to do with the series like the bubonic plague. It seems to be equally as infectious.

hey.girl said...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 11:02 am:
this is the best fictional story 4ever

peace,love,music said...
I hate it when people hate on Twilight. It's a great book & movie , even if some people are too stubborn to say so.

Ice_Queen replied...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 8:04 pm :
Yeah, whatever. Somebody needs to read my review.

lit.rox This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 31, 2011 at 7:33 am:
This is fictional, still very interesting.I like it.