Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

godzilla1 said...
Nov. 22, 2009 at 12:59 am:
Twilight is really a terrible film. I like your review though.

godzilla1 replied...
Dec. 6, 2009 at 1:58 pm :
No. No they can't.

remym This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 2:20 pm :
I KNOW!!! I thought I'd have to hire a bodyguard when my article The Case Against Twilight was published in the school paper.

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 2, 2010 at 9:32 pm :
godzilla1, one word comes to mind when I read your comment ---AMEN!

dramma queen replied...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 5:59 pm :
listen godzilla1 or should i say twlight hatter twlight is the best series in the usa so dont be talking about twlight unless you are saying it rocks

Jan. 6, 2010 at 5:38 pm :
wow...your username really fits you!

SafeleoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 12:28 am :
Isn't that the whole point of teenink? to state you opinion without being censored for saying Twilight sucks?

Myrah This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:32 am:
Your review was well-written. but I can't help but disagree. Because the movie was such a faithful adaption, it carried the same flaws that the novel did. And "ultimate forbidden love"? I can think of several love stories that are a thousand times more taboo- "Lolita" is classic, and Subaru and Seishirou's story in "Tokyo Babylon" and "X/1999" pretty much tops the charts for modern fatal attraction. "Twilight" was a good read for a rain... (more »)

rachelrae said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:44 am:
twilight was an amazing book. one of the best books i had read in a really long time. when the movie came out i though it was laking. i really thought they butchered the book. but i still havent turned my back on the movie compleatly. cant wait for new moon.

SarahBeth replied...
Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:50 am :
I agree with you. I love the books and when Twilight came out I was very disapointed. To me the movie felt like it happened over the course of a few weeks, not months like it does in the novel. And I thought hey left out some very important scence. The trailers for New Moon are looking amazing! I can't wait to see it (:

MissMandi:-) said...
Nov. 6, 2009 at 11:28 am:
Great review! Amazing. It was fantastic to read. The books were great and this was too. The movie was okay but i still love twilight.

ILunar said...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 9:27 am:
Twilight is good and its very inspiring

Michelle F. said...
Aug. 11, 2009 at 2:20 am:
If I put aside how much I disagree with your review, I can honestly say that your writing is quite good. Nice job!

Meghan M. said...
Jul. 13, 2009 at 3:21 am:
I'm impressed by your writing. You've identified the movie from a very nice angle that was a pleasure to read. My thoughts on the movie were that it wasn't as good as the book. Now understandably, it usually isn't as goood as the book but this movie in particular didn't do the book justice, in my opinion. It was mainly composed of just action and love, none of the mystery or trepidation was exhibited. Admittedly, while the movie should be it's on entity and not follow the novel... (more »)

HurdlesStar said...
Jul. 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm:
Personally i didn't like the movie as much as the book. I didn't like how they cut out so many of my favorive scenes. But I loved the book.
I also loved your review. You made it sound amazing! You have a great talent! keep writing more reviews!

Valkyrie_123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 24, 2009 at 6:21 am:
i love the movie and the books both genius and the review was too. great work!!

COOL KID177 said...
Jun. 22, 2009 at 11:50 pm:
I've seen the movie Twilight

kmpoetgirl7 said...
Jun. 22, 2009 at 2:26 am:
congratulations! This is an amazing review!! I am a MAJOR twilight fan and always will be. Personally, i believe the books are better than the movie but your review made either seem delectable! Nice work.

BritneyL said...
Jun. 18, 2009 at 1:43 pm:
They took out to much from the book and then added to much to the movie. I just think that if they stayed true to the story then the movie would have come out better, or if I didn't read the book first. Either way, great job on this review!

hunter C. said...
Jun. 15, 2009 at 12:32 am:
i liked the first movie it was a little creppy at first but it was really cool i cant wait for new moon to come out =')

Raymond W. said...
Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:26 pm:
Oh. Yeah. I agree with myself. But i love Twilight. Can't wait for New Moon!!!