Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight MAG

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

u r horrible for hatting the twlight series including new moon

what do u mean u did not like any book u twlight hatter everyone is going to hate u

dramma queen said...
listen godzilla1 or should i say twlight hatter twlight is the best series in the usa so dont be talking about twlight unless you are saying it rocks

sasssgirrrl22 PLATINUM, Pearl River, New York

"Giving up is not a part of my vocabulary."
"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."
"Truth be told I miss ya, truth be told I'm lying."

lol i do agree wit Sheridan bout her just waiting 4 someone 2 save her. I mean really?

i kinda disagree but good points. I think Kristen is more used to really serious, risky roles. Twilight in most ways is that, or it's planned to be. I think the actors were great, but ur right. There was something missing. I disagree that Kristen ruined Bella, but I do think she needs to fit more into the character Bella's personality. Her personality is just much different than the character's & maybe shez having a sumwhat hard time.

on Jan. 5 2010 at 7:24 am
xAllegria BRONZE, Singapore, Other

Ça fait tellement du bien d’aimer les gens qu’on aime, que ça finit par faire mal. Je sais pas comment on survit a ça. Non franchement, je sais pas. LOL (laughing out loud) ®, Lola.

That's a very generous review. I wouldn't say Kristen Stewart's acting is that good- okay, so it's a subjective opinion, but the actors aren't exceptional as you say. I find there are too many 'serious' parts in this movie where the characters talk alot. In the beginning you take it seriously but after a while it simply gets boring. A lot of it could have been cut out or abridged, making this long film a little shorter.

That aside, I think your review is good. You justify your opinion, though sometimes I find those reasons a bit far-fetched or completely false.

Sheridan PLATINUM, Spokane, Washington

By the time you are done reading this you will have wasted 10 seconds of your life.

YES! Kristen Stewart ruined Bella, although Bella was ruined to begin with. Honestly what happened to girls kicking butt instead of waiting for some stupid vampire to come save them. She was a weak character to begin with and Stewart made her worse.

Sheridan PLATINUM, Spokane, Washington

Amazing article, I'm glad there are a few more people in the world who realize what a bunch of complete crap the books and movies are. After seeing New Moon there's no freakin way I'm seeing Eclipse. This made me laugh, nice work.

Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana

To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

godzilla1, one word comes to mind when I read your comment ---AMEN!

remym said...
I KNOW!!! I thought I'd have to hire a bodyguard when my article The Case Against Twilight was published in the school paper.

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

out of curiosity ^_^

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

agree with most of it, except that i think it's a terrible movie :P

AND Kristen Stewart has completely utterly absolutely failed bella swan. bella is meant to be this responsible, quiet, almost funny and very special person- instead we get a stuttering, lost, unexpressionate drip... disappointing.

remym said...
yes, it is a book, and books can be very bad influences. please do think about it a little. i'd argue edward is an abusive boyfriend. http ://teenink .com /opinion/all/article/149586/The-Case-Against-Twilight/
give the other side's opinion a chance. i read all the books, so its not like i'm just saying its stupid without even trying to like them.

LGscholar said...
LGscholar, Denver, Colorado

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

Wow! That was so good. You have brilliant word choice and i agree with almost everything you said! 9 out of 10 stars to you!

bubbasamantha GOLD, Woodville, Ohio

Most dreams don't come true on their own; you have to make them true.  It takes a lot of work.  It's not easy, but not impossible, either.

Okay, for those of you who think Kristen Stewart did a horrible job in this movie, I thought she was intriguing! Sure, maybe she didn't act like the Bella I pictured, but I found her acting in this movie kind of haunting and mysterious, and I absolutely LOVED it! I now consider Kristen as one of my favorite actresses just from seeing her perform in this single film! Plus, she did just a good job in New Moon, too! Keep up the good work, Kristen!

Damon BRONZE said...
on Dec. 13 2009 at 12:49 am
Damon BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington

"I dont want to be a product of my enviorment, i want my enviorment to be a product of me" (jack nicolson

i didne like any book or movie in this series.

on Dec. 8 2009 at 9:40 am
Cassie143 BRONZE, North Anson, Maine
Highlight: Bella slapped Paul! Great!

godzilla1 said...
No. No they can't.

hbeats4u2 SILVER, MPLS, Minnesota

My personal favorite quote would have to be; "Don't judge a book by its cover."

In my opinian I absolutley hated the movie. The novel was the best one I have read. (And I have read a lot of novels including Pride and Prejudice.) The movie left out so much romance that book swallowed the reader in. Kristen Stewart has no characteristic qualities with Bella. In the book, it describes Bella as a "normal" girl. But in the movie, I was brought to believe that she was a dull, boring character. The movie was horriblly put together. I can't believe that it was put on air.

SkipG BRONZE said...
SkipG BRONZE, Yorktown, Virginia
MY GOD! can someone express a dislike of the twilight books without having 7 fans appearing out of the woodwork to tell them they are wrong