Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

mycheriseamour said...
Mar. 15, 2010 at 7:27 am
I'm sorry, but as someone who dabbles in screenwriting myself, I must say that Twilight is an absolute piece of inartistic, melodramatic, horribly-written piece of junk. The screenwriter should be shot, and so should the author. It's totally cliched...ooh, forbidden romance - I saw that movie in '95! Read the screenplay, and disregard the hot actors, and you will see that the lines suck - "I know what you are," COME ON! What's happening to this world creatively. I&#... (more »)

SafeleoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 12:07 am
I totaly agree with you but don't say the author should be shot because she helped make teenink...

BasketballChick5 said...
ok, i agree with Josiphione_Flick the movie doesnt match the books at all atleast thats what my sister tells me!!! I don't plan on reading these books they sound lame sorry tho!!!! The movies are good but yea....But Bella Gets on my nerves adn so does edward i don't like them.....They make a good couple tho because they are weird and clingy... and i agree shes sounds likE A MAN!
SARA!

Joesiphine_Flick This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Okay, the books are what people LOVE!! I absolutely adore the books. The movies though, well, let's just say it's as entertaining as George Lopez. Not to sound rude, but Kristen Stweart sounds like a man, and stutters way too much. And she makes the worst expressions. Robert Pattinson is O.K. at acting, but I don't think he fits Edward. The director of the movie obviously didn't read it, because the lines are so boring and Edward is supposed to be nice and funny, but still s... (more »)

chicken dude said...
This is a very good review and the movie was good 2 and the books!!!!!!!

BasketballChick5 said...
sorry typing to fast spelled and wrong!

BasketballChick5 said...
I don't see why everyone is inlove with twilight!!!! its so boring i read like 5 chapter of each book and could not read any more its was boing....and the characters on the movie are boring except Taylor he is so HOTTTTT! Edward on the other hand is so weird in my opinion hes not cute.... And Bella wow i really don't like her for the Movie she so Bland adn not exciting!

chicken replied...
u r so wrong it is the best movie ever and books ok

Xilaberry replied...
Actually, I am more inclined to agree with BasketballChick. Twilight has no literary value whatsoever. The reason it has become so popular is because it, essentially, is every straight girls dream to have two beautiful guys fall madly in love with her, and Bella is so completely personality deficit (being clumsy does not count as a personality trait) that girls and women everywhere can project themselves onto her.

BasketballChick5 replied...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 12:26 am
Thank You Xilaberry!!!!I dont really Know why she plays the Part as Bella and Like she is bland adn the books dont really match the movie

biebergirl1 replied...
ya the books dont match the movie becauses the books are the original stories so the movies are just like remixes

Apr. 5, 2011 at 12:11 am
The only reason anyone watches the movie at all is because they think TL or (god forbid) RP is hot.

live4vball96 said...
I personally didn't like Twilight. I think it's a Harry Potter wanna-be and it left me wondering in a lot of parts. Since i didn't read the books (though i tried, i just got bored) my family was having to explain a lot to me throughout the movie. It was pretty good, but not the best movie I have ever seen.

agsmiley888 replied...
i agree that its not the best movie ever, but i dont htink it is a harry potter wanna be
i mean it doesnt even have wizards, and the books are two completly different genres, teilight is romance, and harry potter is adventure.

star replied...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 10:00 am
i love this movie its the best ever i will marry edward after i divorice spiderman

BasketballChick5 replied...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 12:28 am
Star, really Edward is so UGLY and not cute at all adn Jocob on the other hand IS HOTT I WOULD MARRY HIM!

NecromanceDance said...
Personally, I've never really liked Twilight. The way I look at it, Bella has no personality. Edward loves Bella simply because she SMELLS good. After all, there's nothing else he could love her for. She's not attractive (says so herself), and she has no personality. There's nothing they share in common, and no chemical connection. Bella is also marrying Edward simply because Edward says he will not have sex with her unless she does so. That doesn't sound like a pleasa... (more »)

NaCheezIt said...
I used to love this series so much. I would try to get everyone to read it. I was in line at midnight for both of the movies so far as well as the last two books. But recently I realized what crap they are. HARRRY POTTER FOREVER :)

Asianflowers replied...
May 17, 2010 at 5:00 am
I agree with you! It is so overrated now that everyone making a fuse about it.

juicyfan6 said...
They do fall in love too fast in the movie... But it is a movie. They have to cut a lot from the book--its a 500 page book turned into a 2 hour movie. I loved Ashley Greene as Alice, especially in New Moon. She had the best lines.

Kira said...
I must disagree. I think the movie was very UNfaithful to the books, which were silly to begin with. Maybe I'm being unforgiving in my thoughts, but I believe that those characters that Stephanie Meyer created were not vampires at all, simply closest to vampires in nature, and therefore given that oversimplified name. I didn't enjoy either.