Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight

November 30, 2008
By Anonymous

I have seen this movie twice already and plan on seeing it at least one more time in theaters. However, depending on who you are, you may or may not want to do the same.

The movie is about a girl, Bella Swan, who moves from Phoenix to rainy Forks, Washington, to live with her dad. She falls in love with a boy, Edward, who is revealed to actually be a 107 year old vampire. They begin a tentative relationship. The story unfolds as Bella is placed in danger from another vampire due to her attachment to Edward.
Personally, I thought the movie was well done. It followed the book well, which is always something I look for when I watch a movie based on a book. The actors do a phenomenal job of portraying all of the characters, showing each of their personalities in often amusing ways. Stewart and Pattinson were very believable as their characters.


People who have not read the book, though, will also like this movie. The first time I saw it was with my mother, who has never read any of the books. She had to ask a few questions after it was over, like “Why were you giggling so much?” or “Wait, which one was Jacob?” Still, when I asked her what she thought, she said she really liked it. Anyone who hasn't read the books should, but if you skip right to the movie, you will still enjoy it.

There were a few parts of the movie which I saw and especially liked. I loved the baseball scene, the scene where Bella meets the Cullens, and the Port Angeles scene. When I compared them to the book, I couldn't help thinking how perfect they were. Also, I liked how the soundtrack fit in with the movie. I wasn't a fan of every song when I first listened to it, but when I saw how it worked in the movie, I was really happy.

The movie wasn't perfect, though, and one part which really bothered me was the meadow scene. It was one of my favorites in the book, but when I saw it on screen, it didn't measure up to the one in my head. Bella and Edward didn't seem to have the same dynamic that they shared in the book. The lines declaring their true feelings were delivered one after another without the same intensity that I expected. Their love, however, is shown well in other parts of the movie.

There was also no blood typing, which I thought would have been an important part to show due to both Edward's and Bella's reaction to the blood. Also, it would have portrayed more of Edward's devotion. Still, with these exceptions, the movie was well-crafted and entertaining.

I hope that anyone who sees this movie will like it enough to read the books, whether for the first time or the fifth. I know that I and hopefully many others will eagerly await the release of the second movie, New Moon, in 2010.