Chicago | Teen Ink

Chicago

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

“If you had been there if you had heard it I bet that you would have done the same!” Chicago is a movie full of fame, fortune, and all that jazz. The Tony award winning show has made it to the big screen in a non-stop singing and dancing extravaganza.

Roxie Heart (Renee Zellweger) is a struggling actress who is having an affair with a Broadway producer and her husband Amos Heart (John c. Reilly) has no idea what she is doing to become famous. When he comes home on night to find Roxie has shot and killed her mystery lover, she is rapidly thrown into an all women's jail. Roxie quickly runs into the famous singer and actress Velma Kelly (Catherine Zeta-Jones) who is in jail for killing her sister and husband. The publicity from Kelly's arrest has only made her more interesting and news worth. When Roxie hears about the lawyer Billy Flynn (Richard Gere) from Velma, she hounds him for weeks trying to get him to take on her case. When he finally gives in, they come up with an elaborate plan to win the jury over with a sob story about how Roxie only committed murdered in self defense. As the story leaks out and the press gets a hold of it, Roxie becomes a big star and overshadows Velma Kelly. With Velma's increasing anger the tension and hatred between the two quickly escalades. Then finally the day of Roxie's trial comes and they put on the show for the jury and judge and Roxie wins her case and is set free. After months of being freed from prison she is finding it hard to get work, and the fame she once had is completely gone.

Adding to this already star studded cast is the acclaimed actress Queen Latifa. I believe that Latifa does an exquisite job portraying Matron Mama Morton the cell blocks wonderful warden. All Morton is after is money and any times she sees a chance to get her hands on it she does not hesitate for one second.

The directorial generous of Rob Marshall creates an Oscar winning cinematic adventure that I believe everyone should watch. Chicago is a great movie full of twists and turns. It grabs hold of you from the beginning and does not let you go until the last words are spoken. Just when you think you know what is going to happen it gives you the greatest surprise ending of all time.

In my own opinion Chicago show be a movie that every person should see at least once in their lifetime.