Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight

Twilight: The Movie You Have to Love, Even if You Didn't Want To

At 12:01 on November 20, 2008, the planets must have aligned, the world's creatures must all have paused in their tasks, and everyone on Earth must have been thinking, “Twilight is premiering right now.”
The first book made a bestselling slam and momentum and fans just kept increasing as New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn followed.
How would Kristen Stewart, not a big name in Hollywood despite her role in such flicks as In the Land of Women, fill the big, clumsy shoes of Bella? Would the movie be able to meet the vigorous challenge of satisfying all of the many, many devout readers of Stephanie Meyer's series?
Sadly, no.

I watched the book four days after it premiered, and was disappointed but not surprised that the movie fell drastically short of the book, as the television commercial had foreshadowed. The acting was mediocre, the chemistry flat, the suspense not taken to its great potential peak, and the humor bare and not at all the wry, frequent comedy that was woven deftly into the books. The personalities of the characters were brought to life only by my imagination, which knew exactly how they were supposed to be in my mind's eye according to the novel. The only images that matched what my mind had conjured was the setting, and even then the pivotal meadow scene wasn't as beautiful and serene as the book portrayed it.

But, ironically, I loved it. It was Twilight! It had every girl's dream guy, and was the story every ordinary girl wished was her own. I had to love the movie, just as most every girl I talked to had to love it, because not to love it would mean being unfaithful to our love for the book, and that was just not right.
So even if I didn't actually think the movie was good but for being associated with my beloved Twilight, I know that I will, as all other lovers of Stephanie Meyer and the way she brought our fantasies to reality, compete to cheer the loudest for this movie and every movie to come.

Shinjitsu-san SILVER, Beavercreek, Ohio
Thank you so much! I have been scanning all of these twilight reviews, and you are so far the only one who was not completely in love with it. Instead of being blinded by the fact that it was Twilight, you actually noted and pointed out some of its shortcomings. Thank you! :)