Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight

Robert Pattinson’s acting was superb. He played Twilight’s romantic yet morose vampire star Edward Cullen with the elegance and mystery that made legions of fans fall in love with the character in the first place.
Too bad he didn’t have the script to go with it.
In case you’re one of the maybe two people who don’t know, Twilight is based on Stephenie Meyer’s best-selling love story about the impossible romance between a vampire and a human. Bella Swan, a klutzy, insecure 17-year-old, moves from Phoenix, Arizona, to the desolate, rainy Forks, Washington, to live with her father. At first she feels doomed to spend the rest of her high school career in this dreary place, but that perspective changes when she falls in love with Edward Cullen, the sexy, godlike figment of every girl’s imagination. Unfortunately, Edward is also a dangerous predator who, partially, thirsts for Bella’s blood. Nevertheless, the two make it work despite a number of obstacles, such as a clan of evil vampires and the danger of the Cullens family’s secret life being exposed completely. It was only a matter of time before these books would be made into movies.
Obviously a movie like Twilight is expected to go the same route as the Harry Potter films; it is first and foremost a blockbuster, emphasizing the action scenes and the romance that the fans enjoy. The screenplay reflects this, lingering on the major points in Bella and Edward’s relationship (ie the first kiss, the “I love you’s,” etc.) and the action scenes. This leaves out all the little things that make the novel great. The characters don’t have time to develop, leaving those who haven’t had the chance to read the books wondering exactly what makes them so appealing.
Despite the film’s less-than-ideal screenplay, I still found it visually stunning and very well cast. I wasn’t one of the people who revolted against Robert Pattinson when he was chosen to play Edward and he definitely didn’t disappoint. The one I was worried about was Taylor Lautner, who plays the equally gorgeous Jacob Black, but he thankfully pulls off his character well. The setting, direction, and soundtrack, however, are the film’s crowning jewels. The combination of quirky beauty and gothic edginess create a stunning and haunting effect.
So, Twilight scores two out of three. The visual effects and the acting almost let me forgive the film for its lack of a decent script (I’m a writer—there’s no way I can COMPLETELY forgive it). Yet, as a fan of the books, I remain satisfied and anxious for the inevitable adaptation of New Moon.

I have been writing reviews since I was a little kid; I used to have my own "magazine" that I would print out periodically. I have recently had the chance to share my reviews with the public in my school paper and other publications. I enjoy it very much. Obviously I know that the "Twilight" film has gotten a bunch of hype so I was excited to see it and review it. I hope everyone enjoys it!