Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight

By THE_IS!! BRONZE, Toms River, New Jersey
THE_IS!! BRONZE, Toms River, New Jersey

There a few entities I look for when the lights go down in the theater, and no, none of them have to do with popcorn or the couple smooching in the front row. My subconscious has somehow, by its own desire, organized a long and specific list detailing what makes a movie incredible or, well, not. However, though this list stretches on, there is one cumulative item I look for above all others, which is more important to me than anything else, and that is for the motion picture to be raw.

Having explored the pages of my worn dictionary for the truthful meaning of this term, I can say, quite honestly, that there are two definitions that describe my raw:

1. Not having undergone processes of preparing, dressing, finishing, refining, or manufacturing.

2. Unnaturally or painfully exposed….

Not one for the glimmer, spark, and glamour of a decadent display of special effects, I wish, hold my breath for this word to be a center core of each film I see. I do not want my films to be “dressed” or “manufactured.” I only want characters, settings, and plots which are “painfully exposed,” so much so that there is not one single moment where reality hides behind a façade, a mask of abnormal perfection.

And this, my friends, is Twilight. Raw….

From the lack of expensive, computer generated, special effect fluff (which stuffs, like a Thanksgiving turkey, most films today) to Robert Pattinson's odd yet entrancing portrayal of Edward Cullen (the first time he speaks, you may be shocked, but, if you give his Edward even half a chance, you will see that this is what Stephenie Meyer intended Bella's vampire lover to be all along [though perhaps, a speck less frightened]) to what I believe is one of the most beautiful moments in movie history (which I giggled at the first time I watched it and sobbed at the second time), when Edward sucks the venom from Bella's blood and considers, once he tastes it, sucking her dry, Twilight is the rawest film I have ever witnessed…and one of the best!

Although the reason for this may be because Summit Entertainment could not afford a large budget for the film, I believe the movie's rawness is due to its director, Catherine Hardwick (co-writer of the wonderful Thirteen), and its actors. I adore the vampires of the Cullen coven, though I was convinced I would despise them all when I first witnessed their photographs over the summer. Then, Rosalie did not appear to really be Rosalie. Emmett did not look like Emmett. Esme was not Esme. However, from the first moment I saw these characters brought to life (or rather, un-death), I knew that these were the characters I had read, so frequently, about. Kristen Stewart's Bella is fantastic: awkward, clumsy, and beautiful (though this part is unbeknownst to her). James and Jacob are amazing, as well: the first channeling an unrelenting stream of traits alike to that of a self obsessed serial killer and the latter being, all and entirely, shy, caring, and very human…at least for now….

The movie's writing is peppered with extraordinary and ingenious bits, some not even from the book. Like, for instance, at the very exit of Twilight, a small scene is added in, in which Victoria stands at a window (dressed in traditional prom garb), watches Bella and Edward sway and waltz below her, lets down her hair, and gives a glance towards the camera which allows every audience member to know what her vile intent is (the blaring sounds of Muse, in the background, assist in heightening the moment as Victoria slinks down step after step). But for the most part, the film stays true to Meyer's original story.

Over the weekend of this film's release, the reviews printed and spoken have been mixed. But I must tell you, with sound mind, body, and Twilight fanaticism, that I could only but wonder why the film received only a “B” in Entertainment Weekly. Twilight's film version is incredible, amazing, fantastic, and absolutely beautiful!

Yes, as I look above me and watch the last phase of the moon, lovely, fully rounded, white, and pure, I can hope for just one thing to come soon:

New Moon….

on Jul. 7 2010 at 9:12 pm
Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana

To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

While I must say that I am not in agreement with this critique of Twilight, I can say one thing: you are an exceptionally talented writer.  Very rarely do I read a piece that voices a differing opinion than my own and find myself giving it five stars - but, I am happy to do it for this one. Good work!