The Book Thief | Teen Ink

The Book Thief

By fame_thakidd SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
fame_thakidd SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

“The Book Thief”, based on New York Times best seller is a breath taking, suspenseful, tragedy that will keep you on your toes until the very end. The intriguing film gives view on both the Germans and Jews during World War II. What makes this film so unique is that death, himself is the narrator.
The young protagonist, Lisel Miminger’s life gets turned upside down as she gets placed into foster care in Germany during War World II. Tragedy follows this ambitious girl everywhere she goes. Young Leisel finds shelter in books that she pilfers from anywhere she can. Her consistency to learn how to read saves her life in the end. As an outcast in her new neighborhood, she fortunately befriends the ambitious Rudy Steiner who lives next door. Their friendship becomes stronger throughout the film. As the war evolves the Jews population decreases rapidly. Luckily, one Jew, Max Vandenberg finds shelter in Leisel’s foster parents, the Hubbermans, basement. As Jew searches increase in the Hubberman’s neighborhood, Max must decide to put the whole family in danger or run for his life.
In my opinion the film did not do the novel justice. I suggest that anyone who is interested in watching the film should read the book first. Reading the book would really help you understand what is going on in the film. Lots of important details are felt out in the film. Nevertheless, the film is still exciting to watch.
Overall, “The Book Thief” is an engaging film for anyone to watch. The rating I would give the film is four and a half stars out of five. I believe that it was one of the best films of the year. The ending is heartbreakingly brilliant.