The Little Mermaid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

"The Little Mermaid" is a new animated feature film from Disney, based on the Hans Christian Anderson tale, of a mermaid princess (Jodi Benson) longing to become human. She embodies the typical teenager; defying her father in her desire to experience life. The little mermaid longs for love and finds it in Prince Eric (Christopher Daniel Barnes). This tale is complete with musical numbers, most notably "Under The Sea," sung by a Jiminy Cricket crab.

"The Little Mermaid" displays wonderful animation, with careful detail including the bubble which gives the water world realism. The scenes between Triton, the mermaid's royal father, parallel human situations. He tells her she must live by his rules while she's in his sea! The crab, Sebastian, is delightful in his attempts to subdue the little mermaid in her adventures.

The animation in this movie is lively and traditional of a classic Disney movie. The characters are memorable. Even though this movie is supposedly geared to younger audiences, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Many of the humorous lines cannot be appreciated by young audiences. I could identify with the mermaid in her difficult decisions, her frustrations with her father, and her determination to do what she wants.

I highly recommend this movie for its animation, exciting plot, appealing characters, excellent details, and musical numbers. I would compare its level of animation to" Roger Rabbit." Even if you don't have a younger brother or sister, I would still go see it. I wonder when it will be released on video?

savannnnnnah. said...
Oct. 9, 2008 at 12:52 am
My all-time favorite kids movie. Great review!