The Bear | Teen Ink

The Bear MAG

The title indicates this movie is about a bear, which was unappealing to me, so I reluctantly went to see it. "The Bear" takes place in British Columbia in 1885 and depicts a young cub coping with survival. As the film begins a mother bear and her cub are searching for food, when tragedy strikes; the mother bear is killed by an avalanche. The cub is overcome with sadness, which is visually shown and you can sense his grief. The cub is shown as a child, very curious and puzzled at all the new things around him. He chases and tries to catch a butterfly, and runs after a bullfrog, which eludes his grasp.

"The Bear" has little dialogue, but gives insight into how a bear thinks, behaves, and survives. The cub has many facial expressions, which remind me of a baby. His dreams show flying bullfrogs, his mother dying, and bees attacking him. The close-ups of the bears are very impressive as is the scenery.

The movie is set in the rocky mountains of British Columbia, one of the most scenic areas in the world. I thought this movie would be uninteresting, but my eyes were glued to the screen form the first glimpse of the bear cub with his mother. This movie took an incredible amount of work with bear, horse and dog trainers. The real star of this movie is the bear cub, who evoked tears. This movie is very informative about the dangers bears face . Even if you are not an animal lover, this movie with touch your heart.