Dick Tracy | Teen Ink

Dick Tracy MAG

Academy award-winning Warren Beatty plays "Dick Tracy," a cartoon character who is brought to life in the motion picture "Dick Tracy." While trying to solve a crime, Tracy is plunged into a situation where a witness won't testify. "Breathless Mahoney," a sexy, nightclub singer is afraid for her life and refuses to testify for Tracy. However without her, he doesn't have proof that the suspect has committed murder, fraud, and countless other crimes. All Mahoney is interested in is Tracy, as she taunts him with her seductive antics.

Although the movie itself lacked that special "Roaring Twenties flair" and the story line seemed somewhat superficial, the special effects and set designs were impressive. Vivid colors were flashed across the screen attaining the comic book effect. However, Beatty seemed to walk through the movie not really acting or showing any emotions while Madonna was not on screen long enough to show her promising acting ability. This movie was entertaining but certainly not as good as all the hype. It lacked depth. The only commendable thing were the songs Madonna sang throughout the movie. Having written them herself, she does an excellent job singing, and has truly captured the spirit of the Twenties in her music.

I would see this movie for its effects not its acting. Take it less seriously than a "normal" movie because it is a comic strip-based movie and characters seem shady at times. This movie receives a "thumbs up" review and I hope this is the big break in Madonna's career that she has been looking for. n

i love this so much!