Deceived | Teen Ink

Deceived MAG

This movie is R rated. Those under 17 must be accompanied by an adult.

If you were shocked by "Fatal Attraction," "Pacific Heights," and "Misery" (and enjoyed their suspense), go see "Deceived." This movie takes the viewer back to historic thrillers like Alfred Hitchcock in the sense that, just when you think you've figured out the plot, another layer is woven in which to become entangled. As soon as you decide that the movie can get no more complicated, it reaches an even higher level.

Goldie Hawn gives her best performance since "Overboard" as the suspicious wife and widow, but John Heard steals the spotlight with his chillingly believable performance as the "deceiving" husband. An actor like Heard can say more with his eyes than with words and should be remembered at Oscar time. Regardless of whose performance is better, both characters are so powerfully portrayed that you can relate to them, sympathize with them, and in some cases, even hate them.

"Deceived" is unlike anything playing anywhere. The plot is complex, but not to the point of confusion. The sets are so perfectly selected that with each scene comes a sense of coldness which adds to the mood of the movie. Most important, the whole movie flows smoothly. No matter how many twists and turns it takes, it all seems to fit together.

If any of these descriptions interest you, go see "Deceived." There is no reason for anyone to miss this movie -- nothing else can quite compare. n