Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind | Teen Ink

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind MAG

November 14, 2008
By Taylor Lautt BRONZE, Dell Rapids, South Dakota
Taylor Lautt BRONZE, Dell Rapids, South Dakota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When couples split, they tend to focus on the negatives in their relationship. “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” created by Michel Gon­dry and Charlie Kaufman, applies science-fiction to the topic of memory and love. This film is definitely worth watching.

Joel (Jim Carrey) is trying to deal with a painful breakup with his girlfriend, Clementine (Kate Winslet). He doesn’t know it yet but he has been erased from her mind. They were on the rocks, and Clementine was tired of dealing with his boring ways.

So Joel visits her doctor (Tom Wilkinson) and signs up for the same procedure. Techies remove everything from his home that might remind him of Clementine. However, Joel changes his mind, and tries to hold onto his precious memories of her by mentally out­running the scientific process.

Carrey and Winslet are incredible and show the true meaning of love, teaching viewers that memories are always valuable. The special effects are good, and lights and editing are done well throughout. It’s one of the rare sad movies Hollywood has made.

In my opinion, this amazing movie is my favorite. It taught me a lot, especially how memories are something you want to hold onto forever.

“Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” isn’t just a surprise, it’s an eye-opener and one I’ll definitely never forget.