The Strangers | Teen Ink

The Strangers

“The Strangers” was not the best movie ever made. There were some good parts, but otherwise it was quite boring. It was a movie that you could always predict what was going to happen next.

James Hoyt, (Scott Speedman), and Kristen McKay, (Liv Tyler), are alone at a vacation home supposedly celebrating James' proposal to Kristen, but she said no, making the setting very uncomfortable for the both of them. They continue to try and stay separate, until Kristen needs cigarettes. James offers to go get her some and leaves her alone. There are strange knocks on the door, and then the masked people show up.

The acting in this movie needs some work. Liv Tyler has been in movies like “The Lord of the Rings” and was so good in all of them that I was expecting more from her in this movie. Scott Speedman did a good job in my point of view. He has been in the movie “Underworld” and he tried so hard to help make this a little better. The masked people, (Gemma Ward, Kip Weeks, and Laura Margolis) seemed like they were trying too hard. Bryan Bertino was the director of this movie. He has only directed one other movie, “Alone”, so after I read that I knew why this movie was not the greatest.

This movie did still fit well with the genre of a horror movie. There was still blood, violence, and killing. It also fit in the genre of a thriller. The only reason for that was because there were parts that were unexpected, so I jumped a couple times, and it leaves you with many questions at the end.

I did not think this was the best horror movie I had ever watched. It was portrayed to be a lot better than it actually was. At some times it seemed like the actors/actresses were trying too hard and were overacting. I did like that it left me with many unanswered questions at the end. It makes me wonder if there will be a second one, or if they will keep us all wondering about the true answers.

If anyone asked me if they should go rent this movie I would say no. It was kind of a waste of time to sit down and watch. At times I wanted to stop it and put in something different. For a rating I would only give this a 6 out of 10.

Bulldogs14 said...
on Oct. 10 2011 at 10:59 am
I disagree! I've watched MANY horrors movies and this is by far the scariest. You could relate it to something that could actually happen. It wasn't like any of the Halloweens or Friday The 13th's they've made, because the killers never die. I thought the actors were great and did a fantastic job! I ghive it a 10 our of 10!