Transformers | Teen Ink

Transformers

Directed by Michael Bay, and based on the Hasbro toy line that captured kids' eyes in the 80's, two groups of shape-shifting transformers find themselves battling once again on Earth.

While the Decepticons, followers of the evil Megatron (voiced by Hugo Weaving), attempt to take over the planet, the Autobots, led by the valiant Optimus Prime (voiced by Peter Cullen), are set on protecting it. When Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf) discovers that his new car is really the Autobot Bumblebee (voiced by Mark Ryan), it sets them up for a massive giant-robot fight to either kill all humanity, or save it.

LaBeouf is a great actor. He is very funny when trying to hide the Autobots from his well-meaning parents (Kevin Dunn and Julie White), as they accidentally destroy dad's freshly renovated backyard. He is very bad at trying to hide his nervousness from his gorgeous classmate (Megan Fox), whom eventually becomes his girlfriend. Fox is great at acting stuck up, but she eventually warms up to LaBeouf.

“Transformers” combines stunning CGI effects and thrilling action sequences with drama, humor and a touch of romance. The special effects are amazing, especially when the Autobots and Decepticons transform. It is confusing for the brain to keep up with how quick everything is, but also fun for the eyes.

This film is great for all ages, although it probably leans more towards the younger generation, it is fun for everyone. The special effects are spectacular, and some of the action and scenes are sure to bring a tear to your eye. Even if you aren't at all interested in robots and things like it, this movie will interest you if only a little, especially if you are a car person.

The movie balances its spectacle with an admirable amount of substance, giving it an appeal to people of all ages. It shows that people from different cliques can fall in love, and that the good guy always wins. Be sure to catch this movie, because it will capture your heart in more ways than one.
Rating: 9 (1-10)