Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom (2013) | Teen Ink

Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom (2013)

By milly97 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
milly97 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

"Just like a rainbow after the rain, a good thing will always happen after you experience the pain."

A life full of injustice, suffering and endless fighting. This was the life of Nelson Mandela. But is his life truly displayed in this movie?

The movie: Nelson Mandela Long walk to freedom was based on the book Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela. Which describes the life of Nelson Mandela and his struggle to fight for equality between the black and white people. This movie was directed by Justin Chadwick who was born in Salford, Lancashire in 1968. With an amazing cast this movie has been nominated to many awards. One of them includes the Academy awards for best achievement in music for the present year.

Nelson Mandela Long walk to freedom starts with Idris Elba as Nelson Mandela in the movie. At the beginning of the movie Nelson Mandela goes through a very important tradition for African Americans. It was the circumcision ritual where Nelson Mandela went from being a boy to being a young man. Nelson Mandela had a passion for boxing. He was opposed to the way White people treated black people. He wanted to defend not only himself and his family but also every black person in Africa. He fought to for equal treatment and he wasn’t scare to go to prison, he wasn’t scared to die, he had a purpose he wanted to defend his people.

Mandela was a fighter but he also was a ladies man. He had three big passion displayed on this movie. He loved boxing, dancing and ladies. He was first married to Terry Pheto as Evelyn Mase in the movie. They had four children together. They had many problems that caused their separation. Resulting on his second and longest marriage with Naomie Harris as Winnie Madikizela in the movie. They had two girls together that later followed their mother’s path in life. She loved him a lot, which made her fight for equality between black and white people too, which made her suffer a lot.

In conclusion, Nelson Mandela was a fighter that wasn’t scared of anything. He was part of protest and always was willing to help others. In my opinion this was a good movie that describes the life of Nelson Mandela and shows all the difficulties he and his family had to fight for equality.