The Piano | Teen Ink

The Piano MAG

By Anonymous

   The Piano

The Piano is a Jane Campion film starring Holly Hunter, Harvey Keitel, Sam Neil and Anna Paquin. Holly Hunter is brilliant as Ada, a mute, widowed woman, made to move to New Zealand with her young daughter Flora (played almost, if not perfectly, by newcomer Anna Paquin) in order to marry Stewart (Sam Neil), whom she has never met.

Upon arrival in New Zealand, Ada is told she must leave her beloved piano on the beach. Ada, whose whole existence centers on her piano, refuses. But the piano is too heavy to be carried the long distance to Stewart's house, and so it is left behind. Then, enter George Baines. Baines is attracted to Ada. He buys the piano from Stewart and has it brought to his house, knowing how much Ada needs her piano. Baines proposes an unconventional way for her to earn back her piano, and a desperate Ada accepts.

The plot builds to an emotional and erotic climax filled with passion and revenge. The climax is one of horror; it's an image that you will never forget.

The Piano seems like a strange dream, swimming in its own haunting music, darkness, and emotion. The images brought to life by director and writer Jane Campion are extremely powerful and unforgettable. Holly Hunter's performance is perfection. She does not speak one word throughout the entire film yet conveys so much emotion with just a look. For her role, Hunter learned sign language and did all the piano playing herself. I highly recommend the film to everyone. .

This movie is rated R. Those under 17 must be accompanied by an adult.

Review by R. D., East Hartford, CT